Faculty Position in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering at the University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
The College of Engineering of the University of Miami (UM in Coral Gables, FL) invites applications and nominations for tenured/tenure-track faculty positions at the assistant/associate/full professor level in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. The faculty hires will have expertise consistent with at least one of the following college-wide problem-based research clusters:
- Novel Materials
- Sustainable, Resilient and Smart Systems
- Big Data, Informatics and Cybersecurity
- Cognitive and Brain Engineering
- Health and Healthcare Systems
Applicants must have a strong record of research accomplishments, evidence of leadership and vision, ability to excel in an interdisciplinary environment, and a strong interest in undergraduate and graduate teaching. Applicants must have an earned doctorate in mechanical and aerospace engineering or a related field.
Responsibilities of this position include developing a strong externally funded research program; fostering undergraduate and graduate student development; teaching and developing new courses as well as novel teaching methods; assessing student learning; developing new degree offerings that meet the needs of the community and industry; actively engaging with and participating in professional societies; and strengthening the role of the department and the College in the innovation ecosystem in South Florida.
The University of Miami is a top 50 U.S. research institution committed to attracting a talented workforce to support the common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, innovation and service. Faculty hired will have unique opportunities to contribute to the growth of strategic research areas through collaboration within the cluster and leveraging existing strengths at the University of Miami, which include:
- Unique geographical location providing a gateway to the Americas;
- World-class research faculty at the University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine and the Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science;
- Newly formed state-of-the-art "Makerspace" research and teaching facility supported by a major medical devices company;
- A $100 million gift to the College of Engineering together with the School of Arts and Sciences.
Initial screening of applications will begin November 2016, with hires expected to start August 2017. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. Applications are to include curriculum vitae, statement of educational philosophy, and the names of three persons who may be asked for letters of reference; these items should be uploaded through the web portal at http://coe.miami.edu/facultyopenings. Please DO NOT APPLY THROUGH THE UM CAREER SITE for position # P00014857.