Instructor/Assistant Professor Construction Management
Requisition Number: F00364P:
The Parson Construction Management Program in the College of Engineering, Applied Science and Technology at Weber State University seeks applications for a full-time, nine month faculty position starting fall 2024. The program offers both associate and baccalaureate degrees. Rank and tenure will be determined based on experience and credentials of the selected applicant. We seek candidates who have the desire and potential to be a great teacher and who possess significant relevant industry experience. The Parson Construction Management program (established in 1997) caters to the working professional; as such, some courses are offered in an on-line or virtual mode. Experience with a platform such as Canvas or Blackboard is strongly encouraged.
Applicants should have demonstrated ability to teach classes in at least two, preferably three, of the following areas: civil materials (i.e. soils, asphalt, concrete); civil surveying & construction layout; mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP); construction planning and scheduling; construction estimating; construction safety. Courses taught include an online component.
Applicants must be able to communicate proficiently in English, both verbally and in writing. The position requires the successful applicant to:
- initiate and maintain a scholarly agenda;
- provide service in the Construction Management Program, Department, College, University, Community, and Profession;
- work collegially as a member of the Construction Management faculty team and collaborate with other interdisciplinary programs.
The candidate will mentor student competition teams and interact with industry. We are seeking an individual interested in being part of a successful construction management program and share in the leadership to expand the program in the future.
Minimum Requirements for Instructor Level Appointment:
- Bachelors degree in engineering, construction, architecture, business, or related degree plus five years of increasingly responsible project management experience in the US construction industry.
The instructor position is a non-tenure track position. The instructor position may be converted to a tenure-track position if the Faculty of the Department of Construction and Building Sciences and the Dean of the College of Engineering, Applied Science and Technology agree that there is evidence of progress towards academic potential and the instructor meets the requirements set forth below for hiring at Assistant Professor/Tenure Track Level.
Minimum Requirements for Assistant Professor/Tenure-Track Level Appointment:
- Doctorate in engineering or construction plus two years of increasingly responsible project management experience in the US construction industry.
- Masters degree in engineering, construction, architecture, business, or related degree plus five years of increasingly responsible project management experience in the US construction industry.
- A proven track record of scholarship and/or applied research in the construction industry or a related field.
Seeking applicants with the ability to communicate proficiently in English, both verbally and in writing. Preferred Qualifications include:
- Earned doctorate or masters degree in civil engineering.
- Professional engineers or structural engineers license.
- Experience teaching construction subjects at the post-secondary level.
- Involvement in professional organizations in the design and construction industries.
- Industry certifications (e.g., LEED-GA, DBIA).
- Experience developing courses or online materials at the post-secondary level.
Background Check? Yes
WSU offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement, a wellness program with release time and paid incentives, tuition benefits, free tickets to athletic and performing arts events, and paid holidays.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Open Date: 09/19/2023
Open Until Filled: Yes
Notes to Applicants:
NOTE: Instructor positions are temporary appointments which are renewable annually by separate contract at the sole discretion of the university. If you are passionate about what you could offer and accomplish here at WSU, we would love to hear from you. The position comes with a generous benefits package.
To apply, please complete the online application and attach a cover letter, current CV, and the names and contact information for at least three professional references.
Screening of applications will begin November 1, 2023. Position will remain open until filled.
Criminal background check required as a condition of employment.
Physical Activity of this position: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction., Operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, or position. , Grasping. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. , Feeling. Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. , Expressing or exchanging ideas. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important instructions to other workers accurately or quickly. , Ability to receive detailed information with or without assistance.
Physical Requirements of this position: Light work. Exerting up to 20 lbs of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Use of arm and/or leg controls exerting forces greater than that for sedentary work.
Visual Acuity Requirements including color, depth perception and field of vision: Required to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; using a computer terminal; extensive reading.
The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position: None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
To apply, visit https://jobs.weber.edu/postings/20927