Applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate (Post-Doc) are solicited in the Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering at Illinois Institute of Technology. The Post-Doc will be supervised by Dr. Matthew Gombeda (https://www.iit.edu/directory/people/matthew-gombeda) and work on a funded project on innovative concrete structures and materials. The successful candidate will have a strong background in structural engineering with significant experience with one or more of the following topics: behavior and design of precast/prestressed concrete structures, innovative concrete materials, and experimental testing of concrete structures.
- A PhD or an equivalent degree in structural engineering, civil engineering, or other disciplines directly related to the aforementioned topics.
- Strong personal, verbal, and written communication skills demonstrated through a record of peer-reviewed journal articles, conference proceedings and/or presentations, involvement in relevant technical committees (i.e., American Concrete Institute (ACI), Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI), etc.), and/or proposal preparation for funded research projects.
- Ability to coordinate daily research activities including overseeing PhD or MS students, and assisting Dr. Gombeda with project reporting.
Preferred skills and experience
- Expertise in reinforced or precast/prestressed concrete structures
- Experience with innovative concrete materials
- Background in experimental testing (preferably with concrete structures)
The appointment will be made at the rank of Postdoctoral Research Associate (Post-Doc), for a period of twelve months, and with an expected start date of January 4, 2021. A competitive salary and benefits are included with the appointment. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, remote work may be possible for certain responsibilities of this position.
Review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their complete application as soon as possible. Application packages should include a cover letter, a full curriculum vitae, a research statement, and complete contact information for three recommendations. The application package shall be compiled as a single PDF and emailed directly to Dr. Gombeda (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Illinois Institute of Technology, also known as Illinois Tech, is a private, technology-focused research university. Illinois Tech is the only university of its kind in Chicago, and its Chicago location offers students access to the world-class resources of a great global metropolis. It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering, science, architecture, business, design, human sciences, applied technology, and law. One of 21 institutions that comprise the Association of Independent Technological Universities, Illinois Tech provides an exceptional education centered on active learning, and its graduates lead the state and much of the nation in economic prosperity. Illinois Tech uniquely prepares students to succeed in professions that require technological sophistication, an innovative mindset, and an entrepreneurial spirit.