The College of Engineering (COE) at the University of New Orleans (UNO) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in August 2022. The successful candidate will be assigned to work within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE).
A Ph.D. degree in Construction Management, Civil and Environmental Engineering or a closely related area is a requirement for this position. Candidates must have background and expertise in teaching and performing research in the general area of construction management. Successful applicants must demonstrate strong teaching commitments to graduate and undergraduate courses and possess a record of research excellence in construction management in an urban environment. The focus of teaching and research can be in any aspect of construction management, including urban planning, sustainable methods, construction scheduling and estimating, historic structures restoration and preservation, construction materials, and other urban construction techniques. However, candidates with an ability to integrate multiple engineering and science specialties to solve challenging technical problems are desired. The successful candidate will also need to develop and grow an externally funded, innovative and impactful research program; supervise independent student research; contribute to departmental teaching at all levels; and provide service to the COE as needed.
About UNO and CEE
The University of New Orleans is one of the nation’s best institutions for undergraduates to earn their college degree, according to The Princeton Review. The Princeton Review features UNO in the new 2020 edition of its college guide, "The Best 385 Colleges." The U.S. News and World Report has also ranked UNO in the top 200 engineering colleges in the United States. The University of New Orleans (UNO) is also a Carnegie High Research Activity institution and for years, U.S. News and World Report has ranked UNO among the national universities whose students graduate with the lightest debt loads.
The department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at UNO benefits from the support of the university led initiative to elevate the college to national prominence in education and research, and to help enhance economic development in Louisiana and the entire gulf coast region. The department has a vibrant and growing ABET-accredited undergraduate Civil Engineering program with more than 200 undergraduate students. The department also offers masters and doctoral degrees through the COE and is the only university in the Greater New Orleans area offering such degrees in the Civil and Environmental engineering disciplines. In Spring 2020, Louisiana Board of Regents approved a new degree (B.S. in Urban Construction Management) to be offered within the Department of CEE at UNO. This new degree at UNO will provide a holistic approach to urban construction management and will include courses in engineering, management, marketing, and urban studies. The students graduating with this unique degree will specialize in urban residential and commercial planning, design, and sustainable construction management techniques. They will also be knowledgeable and proficient in preservation and restoration of historically significant housing, monuments, structures, facilities, and related construction features. The department started offering courses towards this degree in Fall 2020 and already have more than 40 students in the program. The advertised faculty position will contribute to the growth and success of this new, exciting, and vibrant program at UNO. Additional information about the degree can be found at ucm.uno.edu
The CEE department has excellent laboratory facilities in the areas of construction management, environmental engineering, hydraulics and coastal engineering, geotechnical engineering, and structural engineering. The department of CEE is proud to offer an outstanding comprehensive environment to faculty who value a well-rounded career path of high-quality student interaction, productive, meaningful research, and rewarding civic engagement. The university is located about eight miles from downtown New Orleans in an area offering an outstanding quality of life, dynamic live-music scene, and exceptional cuisine reflecting its history as a melting pot of French, African and American cultures.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Develop and teach undergraduate level courses required by the department and specialized courses in his or her area of interest.
- Develop, grow, and maintain an externally funded, innovative and impactful research program in construction management.
- Supervise independent student research at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Participate in academic service assignments as needed by the department and college.
- Enhance the profile and reputation of the department nationally and internationally.
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Construction Management, Civil and Environmental Engineering or in a closely related field.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong teaching commitments to graduate and undergraduate courses and possess a record of research excellence.
- Applicants must demonstrate ability to secure research funding from national & international agencies.
- Applicants must have demonstrated scholarly accomplishment in research in construction management, civil engineering, or related fields in an academic or industry organization as evidenced by publications and citations in archival journals.
- Applicants must have demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with students, staff, faculty, administrators and external constituents.
- Experience in the construction industry.
- Professional Registrations.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across disciplines, colleges, and administrative structures.
- Cover Letter indicating why you are a good fit for this position at UNO,
- Detailed curriculum vitae listing relevant qualifications and experiences,
- Teaching Philosophy,
- Statement of Research Interests, and
- Names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on November 30, 2021. Full consideration and priority will be given to applications received by November 15, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please apply through the UNO website at https://ulsuno.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UniversityOfNewOrleans/job/New-O…