Professor Chemical Engineering: Simulation-based Analysis and Design of Chemical and Biochemical Processes
KU Leuven has a full-time academic vacancy in the area of simulation-based analysis and design of chemical and biochemical processes at the De Nayer Campus, within the Chemical and Biochemical Reactor Engineering and Safety (CREaS) section. We are looking for internationally oriented candidates with a strong computational expertise, and with a strong application-oriented research track record and educational competence within the field of (bio)chemical engineering technology. The successful applicant will be appointed in the Department of Chemical Engineering and the Faculty of Engineering Technology of the Science, Engineering and Technology Group of KU Leuven. The faculty has an extensive national and international network, both in the academic and business world. The research should embrace the sustainability vision of the division and department.
The research group can build upon a solid research infrastructure, an extensive international network, connections with companies and non-profit organisations, a stable offer of highly talented PhD students and a supportive work environment. The Chemical and Biochemical Reactor Engineering and Safety (CREaS) section @ De Nayer is located at Campus De Nayer, Sint-Katelijne-Waver.
● You develop an application-oriented research programme at an international level in the simulation-based analysis and design of chemical and biochemical processes, enabling and strengthening implementation and integration of technology in industrial applications. The research complements existing research lines, e.g., physicochemical and biological treatment and valorisation of (organic) side and waste(water) streams but also brings along complementary application areas, such as: electrochemistry, separation processes, mass and heat transfer, and fluid flow dynamics. Your work is supported by computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and advanced process simulation software (such as aspenONE software), which you will use as tools to study and design complex processes.
● You initiate collaborations with other research groups at KU Leuven with interest in (bio)chemical reactor engineering, computational methodologies, systems analysis and design.
● You have or you initiate close collaboration with industry, ranging local SMEs to large international companies.
● You build a research group of international level with strong visibility.
● You publish at the highest scientific level, acquire competitive resources for research, supervise PhDs and set up international
collaborations around your research programme.
● As part of your research programme, you develop international partnerships, within the academic world as well as with industrial partners.
● You are able to acquire competitive funding, both project-based government funding as well as industrial funding.
● You pay the required attention to the technology transfer and application of the results of your research in industry/government/ society.
● You ensure high-quality education within the Chemical Engineering Technology programme at campus De Nayer (Sint-Katelijne-Waver), including general Chemical Engineering courses and courses in the domain of process simulation and monitoring, with a clear commitment for the quality of the programme as a whole within the Faculty of Engineering Technology (http://iiw.kuleuven.be/english/engineering-technology). All professors are expected to teach a few basic undergraduate courses.
● You also contribute to the pedagogic project of the faculty and university through the supervision of master theses and as a promoter of PhD students. You develop your teaching in accordance with KU Leuven’s vision on activating and research-based education and make use of the possibilities for the educational professionalisation offered by the faculty and the university.
You take up an active role in councils, educational committees, working groups of the university, and, in particular, of the division, department and faculty you will belong to. Cooperation with and services to industry are of prime importance for this profile.
● You hold a PhD in Chemical Engineering, Bioscience Engineering, Engineering Technology or other relevant domain.
● You are expected to have an excellent track record in the field of this vacancy.
● The quality of your research is proven by publications in prominent international journals and/or industrial experience. International research experience is an important advantage.
● You have proven qualities related to academic education.
● You possess organisational skills and have a cooperative attitude. You also possess leadership capacities within a university or other research-based context.
● Proficiency in English is required. The official administrative language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in meetings. Before teaching courses in Dutch, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch to the required standard.
We are offering full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. It is highly inter- and multidisciplinarily focused and strives for international excellence. In this regard, it actively works together with research partners in Belgium and abroad. It provides its students with an academic education that is based on high-quality scientific research. You will work at the KU Leuven De Nayer Campus, an academic campus located about 45 km's from Leuven, close to the historic city of Mechelen and with fast connections to Antwerp (15min), Brussels (20 min) and Leuven (45min). The campus is centred on technology and industry focused research and education. Other campuses will be able to make use of your expertise in teaching.
Depending on your record and qualifications, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor. In principle, junior researchers are appointed as assistant professor on the tenure track for a period of 5 years; after this period and a positive evaluation, they are permanently appointed (or tenured) as an associate professor.
KU Leuven is well set to welcome foreign professors and their family and provides practical support with regard to immigration & administration, housing, childcare, learning Dutch, partner career coaching, …
To facilitate scientific onboarding and accelerate research in the first phase a starting grant of 100.000 euro is offered to new professors without substantial other funding, appointed for at least 50%."
For more information on the contents of the job, please contact
- Professor Christian Clasen, departmental chair of the Department of Chemical Engineering (firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 16 32 23 54) or
- Professor Raf Dewil, campus chair of Campus De Nayer, Sint-Katelijne-Waver (email@example.com, +32 15 68 82 29). If you have problems submitting your application online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add to your application following documents in English (more information is available on the KU Leuven job site):
- your biosketch in which you indicate your added value as an academic for research, education and service to society of your past career and of your future activities (maximum 2 pages);
- a file on your five most important publications or realizations;
- an extensive cv including a full publication list and if applicable a portfolio of your architectural projects;
- your research plan with focus on the development of your research line and research team in relation with the colleague-researchers of the entity of employment (maximum 4 pages);
- your vision on academic education and its organization (maximum 2 pages);
- your contribution to society by outreach and public communication on science and technology, internal representation in boards and councils and service activities directly in relation to your developed expertise (maximum 1 page);
- your vision on leadership (maximum 1 page).
KU Leuven places great importance on research integrity and ethical conduct and will therefore ask you to sign an integrity statement upon appointment.
You can apply for this job no later than August 30th, 2022 via the online application tool.