The Spatial Planning and Transportation Engineering research group is seeking highly motivated and creative postdoctoral researchers who would undertake research in the area of Smart Mobility. The broad research scope includes understanding the impact that automation, digitalization, and servitisation will have in our mobility systems, as well as developing strategies and services aiming for a more sustainable and carbon neutral society. The candidates must have a high motivation for research and enjoy working in an international and cross-disciplinary team. The candidates must have a high motivation for advancing state-of-the-art research, and enjoy working in an international and cross-disciplinary team.
The position should start in early 2020 and is intended for full-time work. The selected individuals will work under supervision of Assistant Professor Milos Mladenovic and Assistant Professor Claudio Roncoli. The successful applicant will have the possibility to cooperate with top-class researchers worldwide, as well as to attend scientific conferences and meetings. The research group provides strong support and academic freedom with possibilities for interdisciplinary collaboration and continuous career development, both internationally and within Aalto University.
Research areas, requirements, and expectations
The postdoctoral researchers are expected to conduct research in one or more of the following areas:
- Mobility and network traffic management
- Mobility system architecture design and data fusion
- Multi-objective optimization
- Agent-based modelling
A prospective postdoc is expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Timely completion of a Doctoral degree in a field that is well-aligned with the proposed research interests
- Knowledge of quantitative methods used in engineering and skills in applying quantitative methods to solve engineering problems
- Very good programming skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Willingness to learn
- Very good English proficiency
The applicant is expected to:
- Publish in top journals and scientific conferences
- Participate in research proposal preparation
- Organize international scientific events
- Guide doctoral and master’s students
- If applicable, teach in the master’s program
These positions are part of a larger contingent of new recruitments of researchers under the Smart Mobility theme.
Duration, financing, and salary
The employment contract is typically for 1-2 years, with an option for renewal. Currently, the starting gross salary for postdoc is around 3500€ per month and may be increased depending on performance. The contracts include occupational health services, while Finland has a comprehensive social security system. Among European cities, Helsinki is special in being safe, clean and close to nature, with a high quality of life. English is spoken everywhere. For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/incoming-international-staff.