Search for University Jobs in Engineering
Teaching Professor and Lab Operations Manager
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Teaching Professor and Lab Operations Manager
Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Teaching Professor overseeing the Manufacturing Laboratories in Washburn Shops, including the Robotics Laboratory and the Haas Technical Center. Work closely with the Manufacturing and Materials Engineering faculty and students.
- The primary responsibility for this position is instructing students on the safe, effective, and efficient operation of the Laboratories, as well as ensuring the readiness of lab facilities and equipment for student projects, research, and relevant classes.
- Teach lecture and laborat01y sections of ME 1800- Materials Processing two terms per year. Also maintain laborato1y manuals for ME1800.
- Instruct lecture and lab sessions for ME 1800 - Materials Processing bi-annually, while also updating lab manuals for the course.
- Train teaching assistants for the ME1800, ME3820, and ME48 I 5 laboratory sessions.
- Offer safety and effective use training for the lab facilities to students at all levels.
- Collaborate with graduate and undergraduate research teams.
- Maintain the Laboratories, applying 5S principles and Lean Engineering, in collaboration with technicians.
- Establish, oversee, and publish metrics concerning Laboratory facility and equipment utilization.
- Handle operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting (electrical, mechanical, computer-related) of robots, CMM, CNC and manual machine tools, and various machines both industrial and prototype.
- Craft tools and laboratory equipment.
- Organize and supervise Work Study students, and create a system enabling evening and weekend laboratory access for both undergraduate and graduate students, potentially using Work Study students or Teaching Assistants.
- Offer machine shop services or train students for project and lab activities.
- Serve as the main contact with suppliers for the Laboratories.
- Support the SME and CNC student clubs in conjunction with faculty.
- Act as the primary contact with Plant Services for lab modifications and upgrades.
- Oversee the online presence for the Laboratories, which includes the Robotics Laboratory and the HAAS Technical Center websites.
- Liaise with the Director of the Haas Technical Center to optimize benefits for students, faculty, and the Institute.
- Handle additional duties and tasks as assigned by the Director of Manufacturing and Materials
- Engineering and the Department Head of Mechanical Engineering.
- Masters degree with teaching experience required.
- Aptitude for teaching and working with students.
- Strong knowledge of CAD/CAM and CNC
- Training and experience in operation, maintenance, and repair of industrial robots and related equipment.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Teaching-Professor-and-Lab-Operations-Manager_R0002625
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |