Postdoc and PhD positions (with full graduate research assistantship-GRA) in Mechanical Engineering at the University of South Carolina are available currently within the research group of Dr. Lucy Yu and the research group Visualized Structural Health Monitoring.
The group is leading researches on developing quantitative evaluation methodologies and system for robust, reliable, integrated nondstructive evaluation and structural health monitoring that can widely be applied to mechanical, aerospace, nuclear or civil structures.
At least one of the qualifications below is preferred:
- Hands-on experience and capabilities
- Experience with ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation equipment and devices
- Experience with Matlab programing
- Experience with ultrasonic waves modeling and simulation in solids
- Experience in signal processing, Fourier analysis using Matlab.
- Strong interest and self-motivation to perform cutting-edge research and conquer challenges in real-world engineering and to publish high-impact papers
USC is the flagship university in the State of South Carolina, and the Ph.D. program at the department of Mechanical Engineering is ranked No. 31 nationally by the National Research Council (NRC) (http://www.me.sc.edu/about/), and the College of Engineering and Computing is ranked No. 1 in the State of South Carolina for faculty research productivity.
The Visualized Structural Health Monitoring research group is focused on structural health monitoring and nondestructive evaluation using ultrasonic guided waves supported by active sensor technology, theoretical modeling, advanced signal processing and data analysis; damage diagnosis in complicated structures; scanning laser vibrometry for guided wave propagation; and mechatronics. Applications of this type of research include condition monitoring of the aircraft structures and systems, integrity monitoring of large composite structures, detecting and quantifying cracks in metal structures such as nuclear facilities and their subsequent mitigation methods.
Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Dr. Lucy Yu (email@example.com).