Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our main campus is located in Espoo, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well.
This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
The School of Chemical Engineering is one of the six schools of Aalto University. It combines natural
sciences and engineering in a unique way.
The Department of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering is looking for
Three Doctoral Candidates and one Postdoc to join the Chemical Engineering research group
Chemical Engineering research group at Aalto University, department of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering (https://www.aalto.fi/en/department-of-chemical-and-metallurgical-engineering
) has funding available for three new doctoral student and one post-doctoral researcher positions. The projects are related to separation process and multiphase flow modeling and experimental thermodynamics connected to separation processes. The projects are starting in August-October 2022. Upon agreement, doctoral student projects could be started as a MSc thesis, but with a strong commitment to continue towards a PhD degree. Doctoral theses are expected to be finalized within four years, and the post-doc position is for three years maximum.
The available project scopes are as follows. The first project is primarily for a post-doc researcher and the others for doctoral students:
1) Modeling of gas-liquid-solid fluidization, especially in large scale systems. The applied models include computational fluid dynamics (CFD) appended with suitable multiphase modeling tools, especially Discrete element method (DEM). The project is industrially funded with a focus towards renewable raw materials. This project is specifically looking for a post-doc researcher.
2) Modeling of liquid-liquid extraction with rigorous mass transfer, population balance and fluid flow approaches. Relevant models range from simple correlations to computational fluid dynamics. The project is industrially funded and motivated by improving current modeling approaches especially with novel renewable feedstocks to chemical industry.
3) Research on using ionic liquids as absorbents for in-situ shifting of reaction equilibria related to renewable chemical production. The work includes experimental work in the fields of phase equilibria and separation processes, as well as model-based analysis of the results. The project is funded by Academy of Finland and done in collaboration with the National research institute in Finland (VTT).
4) Research on fractionation of chemically recycled plastics. Experimental work is related to phase equilibria and separation processes and connected to model-based analysis of the results. The project is funded by Business Finland with a large industrial consortium around chemical recycling of plastics. Research part is done in collaboration with the National research institute in Finland (VTT) whose responsibility is in the pyrolytic decomposition of waste plastics, while our part is subsequent fractionation and related downstream processes.
You will join the Chemical Engineering research group
lead by prof. Ville Alopaeus
Your background and expertise
For the Doctoral positions you’ll have a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in chemical engineering, chemistry or closely related field. Exceptionally motivated students looking for a funded MSc thesis position are also considered. We expect you to have a good knowledge of separation processes, thermodynamics and mathematical modeling, emphasis varying depending on the position applied. Strong motivation to learn more about these is the most important prerequisite.
For the Postdoctoral positions you’ll have a Doctoral degree in a relevant field like chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or physics. We expect you to have a good knowledge of fluid mechanics and mathematical modeling, and a strong motivation to contribute to science in these fields.
If you are chosen for this Doctoral candidate position, you will apply the study right for doctoral studies in Aalto University School of Chemical Engineering. Thus, please check the student information and admission criteria https://www.aalto.fi/en/study-options/aalto-doctoral-programme-in-chemical-engineering
. In particular, please pay attention to mandatory skill level in English.
What we offer
We offer an inspiring academic environment with close collaboration with industry. We expect you to be a strong team player and motivated towards world-class academic achievements with relevant potential engineering applications and industrial impact.
Aalto University applies the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition to the salary, the contract includes occupational health care. Finland has a comprehensive social security system. Aalto University provides excellent learning and development opportunities, commuter ticket benefit and Unisport offers versatile exercise services with staff discount.
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community, please submit your application through our online recruitment system by using the link on Aalto University’s web page ("Apply”).
Please include the following documents in English.
- Motivation letter (maximum one page) including your personal preferences for the available projects
- CV and other proof of scientific activity (publications, conference papers etc.)
- A certified copy of master´s degree certificate and an official transcript of records. For the post-doc position also a copy of doctoral degree certificate is required.
- Any other supporting documents, such as recommendation letters
The call is open until August 21st
, 2022. The possible interviews will be organized using video meetings.
For further information, please contact Professor Ville Alopaeus (email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aalto University’s employees and visitors please note: you should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> Career -> find jobs (not external aalto.fi webpage on open positions) by using your existing Workday user account.
Finland is a great place for living with or without family - it is a safe, politically stable and well-organized Nordic society. Finland is consistently ranked high in quality of life. For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/services/about-finland
More about Aalto University: