The William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics at the University of Washington invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position with a nine-month service period. Our faculty members embrace a culture of excellence and inclusion, are committed to graduate and undergraduate education, and develop innovative research programs. Particular research areas of interest include, but are not limited to, guidance, navigation and control (GN&C), formal methods for aerospace systems, verification/validation, autonomy and control, learning and perception, data-guided methods, aerospace robotics, atmospheric flight, and space systems. Candidates will be expected to complement existing research areas in the Department and across campus.
The Department is committed to excellence in research and teaching, with the expectation that all University of Washington faculty engage in teaching, research, and service. The successful candidate is expected to develop a vigorous and innovative externally-funded research program, to provide high-quality teaching that integrates research with instruction at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, and to participate in service activities.
The William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics is one of the original aerospace engineering departments in the nation and the only one of its type in the Pacific Northwest, a region whose extensive aerospace industry continues to be a major contributor to the technological development, economic vitality, and security of the United States. Under its strategic plan, the department has been building strength in the multidisciplinary areas of aircraft systems, space systems, and energy systems, while continuing its investment in basic research in areas of fundamental importance to aeronautics and astronautics. For information about the department, please visit http://www.aa.washington.edu.
Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. or foreign equivalent in an appropriate engineering or related discipline by the date of appointment.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
The University of Washington is committed to building diversity among its faculty, librarian, staff, and student communities, and articulates that commitment in the UW Diversity Blueprint (http://www.washington.edu/diversity/diversity-blueprint/). Additionally, the University’s Faculty Code recognizes faculty efforts in research, teaching and/or service that address diversity and equal opportunity as important contributions to a faculty member’s academic profile and responsibilities (https://www.washington.edu/admin/rules/policies/FCG/FCCH24.html#2432).
The position will be open until filled, but we expect interviews to begin in January 2021. The anticipated start date for this position is September 1, 2021.
UW is using Interfolio’s Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Please provide pdf files for the following requested materials:
1. Cover letter indicating interest and fit with the position.
2. A current curriculum vitae.
3. Complete contact information for five references.
4. A research statement that includes the candidate’s vision for their research for the next 5 years and the potential for research collaboration, entrepreneurship and aerospace impact.
5. A statement of teaching and education interests, and/or philosophy that includes plans to effectively develop and deliver educational materials, attract and mentor graduate students, and engage the broader community.
6. A statement of diversity/equity/inclusion reflecting how the candidate’s lived experiences of issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion and the candidate’s approach to research, education and/or service contribute to positive social change and are inclusive of individuals with different gender, class, race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, national and cultural boundaries, national origin, worldview, ability, and other identities.
For any administrative issues or inquiries related to the search, please contact Kimberly Maczko, firstname.lastname@example.org. For help signing up for Interfolio, accessing your account, or submitting your application, please check out Interfolio’s help and support section or get in touch via email at email@example.com or phone at (877) 997-8807.