The Faculty of Technical Sciences at Aarhus University is developing a new strategic initiative within digital production and smart factories. In line with this initiative, a Full Professorship is available within the area of Industrial/Production Engineering at the Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering (MPE) from 1/1 2023 or soon hereafter. This position lies within the Design & Manufacturing Section in the MPE Department. The position is intended to strengthen the department’s research profile in smart factories, including
- Virtual modelling and factory simulation
- Factory automation & optimization
- Application of Industry 4.0 technologies to factory planning and operations management
- Enterprise Systems, such as ERP, MES or PLM systems
- Green-digital twin transition of factories and production systems
- Energy, material, and waste modelling in factory networks
- Distributed production, mobile & reconfigurable factories
- Multi-scale production modelling across unit process, line, and factory levels
The position requires the candidate to establish strong collaborations with established research groups and centres in the MPE Department and across the Faculty of Technical Sciences, creating a new research group in their area of expertise, developing new courses and study programs, and contributing to the creation of new research centres. Consequently, it is expected that the candidate has a good record of accomplishment of research leadership and is able to establish strategic collaborations with academic, industry, and other stakeholders. The candidate is also expected to contribute to the above efforts by attracting large national and international projects and grants.
We specifically encourage candidates with a strong interdisciplinary research profile that can strengthen our existing research activities in the MPE Department and the University.
Expected start date
The candidate is required to teach relevant courses in the MPE educational program, and the candidate is encouraged to establish new, specialized courses within the area of “Design, manufacturing and production” at the B.Sc., M.Sc., and/or PhD levels of the Mechanical and Production Engineering program.
The candidate is expected to carry out research on an international level in relevant areas for mechanical and production engineering.
The requirements for applicants are
- A PhD or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or in a relevant subject area.
- A very strong research record of accomplishment and high-quality publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrate leadership in establishing an internationally competitive research group. Applicants should have good experience in supervision of PhD students and postdoctoral research.
- Compete for national and international research grants and make important research contributions. Applicants for the Position should demonstrate a good record of accomplishment of attracting research funding from government and/or private sources.
- Excel in both teaching and research. Applicants for the Position, should have experience in teaching Bachelors and Masters-level courses relevant to Mechanical and Production Engineering, and be able to document pedagogical training.
- Establish strong industrial R&D cooperation. Prior experience in establishing industry collaborations is necessary.
- Bring research results into the public domain. The candidates should have strong communication skills in English. It is a clear advantage if the candidates have the ability or are willing to develop their communication skills in Danish.
Who we are
The engineering field in Aarhus University is changing with a rapid growth in student population, major research initiatives as well as through the establishment of a number of new physical facilities in the city center of Aarhus. We have ambitious plans on increased activities in research, education as well as public and industrial cooperation. The Mechanical and Production Engineering Department within the Faculty of Technical Sciences has cooperation with universities and advisory service providers in more than 20 countries. The engineering field at Aarhus University is well established with extensive research activities, approximately 700 mechanical engineering students and a long tradition of industrial cooperation that we wish to extend significantly.
What we offer
The department offers:
- a well-developed research infrastructure, laboratories and access to shared equipment
- an exciting interdisciplinary environment with many national, international and industrial collaborators
- a research climate encouraging lively, open and critical discussion within and across different fields of research
- a work environment with close working relationships, networking and social activities
- a workplace characterised by professionalism, equality and a healthy work-life balance.
Place of work and area of employment
The place of employment is Aarhus University, and the place of work is Faculty of Technical Sciences, Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering, Katrinebjergvej 89G-F, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark.
For more information about the position contact Head of Department, Anders Brandt (email@example.com
/ +45 2912 5815) or Head of Section Devarajan Ramanujan (firstname.lastname@example.org
/ +45 9350 8848).
August 31, 2022.
Shortlisting is used. This means that after the deadline for applications – and with the assistance from the assessment committee chairman, and the assessment committee if necessary, – the head of department selects the candidates to be evaluated. The selection is made on the basis of an assessment of who of the candidates are most relevant considering the requirements of the advertisement. All applicants will be notified within 6 weeks whether or not their applications have been sent to an expert assessment committee for evaluation. The selected applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee and will receive his/her assessment. Once the recruitment process is completed a final letter of rejection is sent to the deselected applicants.
Letter of reference
If you want a referee to upload a letter of reference on your behalf, please state the referee’s contact information when you submit your application. We strongly recommend that you make an agreement with the person in question before you enter the referee’s contact information, and that you ensure that the referee has enough time to write the letter of reference before the application deadline.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure that letters of reference received after the application deadline will be taken into consideration.
Formalities and salary range
Technical Sciences refers to the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation
The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any). Guidelines for applicants can be found here.
Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
Aarhus University’s ambition is to be an attractive and inspiring workplace for all and to foster a culture in which each individual has opportunities to thrive, achieve and develop. We view equality and diversity as assets, and we welcome all applicants.
Ensuring gender balance at the Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering is a high priority at Aarhus University, and therefore, we particularly encourage women to apply for this position. No candidate will be given preferential treatment, and all applicants will be assessed on the basis of their qualifications for the position in question.
Research activities will be evaluated in relation to actual research time. Thus, we encourage applicants to specify periods of leave without research activities, in order to be able to subtract these periods from the span of the scientific career during the evaluation of scientific productivity.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Read more here
. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here
.The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.