Description of Position
In order to fill a position created as part of the recent award of an NSERC Industrial Research Chair, ÉTS is looking for a professor who can be affiliated with one of its 5 departments: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software and Information Technology Engineering and Construction Engineering. ÉTS is seeking a professor with expertise in the areas of real-time signal processing and onboard electronics. Candidates’ research and teaching activities will be added to existing projects associated with the NSERC-EERS Industrial Research Chair in In-Ear Technologies (CRITIAS). At the beginning, activities will focus on fields of interest related to wearable and hearable audio technology, digital processing of speech signals and biosignals, machine learning and biomedical devices, along with their many applications for the industrial, healthcare, defence and other sectors.
Areas of Expertise Sought
Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to excellence in research and in teaching undergraduate and graduate Engineering programs. They must be capable of teaching undergraduate courses pertaining to digital signal processing, the implementation of algorithms in digital signal processors (DSP), onboard electronics, biomedical devices, acoustics and occupational health and safety. In addition, they must pursue research activities that are complementary to those being carried out by existing teams within their chosen department.
The selected candidate will be called upon to:
- Teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the area of digital processing of speech signals and biosignals, along with machine learning applications for wearable and biomedical devices.
- Mentor graduate students.
- Carry out funded or contractual interdisciplinary research projects, jointly with industry and in work places.
- Develop a research program.
- Publish scientific articles.
- Complete grant applications, particularly those directed at NSERC and FQRNT.
- Must hold a Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Engineering. Be specialized in one of the fields mentioned in the section Description of Position.
- Must be a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ), or take the necessary steps to become one before applying for tenure.
- Must have industry experience. Experience conducting research in close collaboration with industry is an asset. If the candidate does not have related industry experience, he could acquire such experience through an industrial practicum.
- Must demonstrate excellent research and teaching skills. Professional experience or solid R&D experience would be an asset.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken French in accordance with the ÉTS Language Policy, or demonstrate a willingness to learn French and embark on a francization process supported by ÉTS.
Submission of Applications
All applications shall be treated confidentially. Interested candidates must submit their application by 5 p.m. (EST) on July 17, 2019 to Candidatures_professeursMEC@etsmtl.ca.
The application shall include all these documents named as noted below:
- a cover letter, inside which the candidate specifies the department he has chosen cov_letter;
- a curriculum vitae CV;
- an URL to a "Google Scholar" or personal research page URL;
- a statement of teaching goals teach_goals;
- pertinent details of three references references;
- a statement of their research plan res_plan;
- the equal employment opportunity form equity_form;
- a sample of research accomplishments (e.g., recent scientific articles) res_accomp.
All documents must be included. Otherwise, the application will not be evaluated. For any further information, please contact Candidatures_professeursMEC@etsmtl.ca. Please note that only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Salary and Terms
This is a tenure-track position. Salary and benefits will be determined in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Nevertheless, priority shall be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. It is important to mention in your application whether you are able to work in Canada in order for us to plan any necessary immigration process.
Equal Employment Opportunity Program
ÉTS has adopted and follows an equal employment opportunity program, and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal persons, visible and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities. Properly identifying yourself will help us consider all relevant factors during the selection process. Simply complete and attach the Equal Access to Employment form to your application.