The Electrical Engineering Program at the University of Portland (UP) seeks a tenure-track assistant professor to join a thriving community of teacher-scholars in August 2022. We encourage applicants with expertise in digital systems, embedded systems, electronic design automation (EDA), and other related areas to apply.
Through small classes and labs, the EE program offers an accredited BSEE degree, a minor in Computer Engineering, and a Master of Engineering degree. This is an ideal environment for educators who are passionate about teaching and working in a student-centered community where a professional education is infused with the liberal arts. The curriculum includes active learning, hands-on collaborative projects, and a capstone project with industry partners, with opportunities for undergraduate research. Electrical engineering enrollments are approximately 70 students across the full curricula.
This is a full-time faculty position with benefits. Benefits include: medical and dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, sick time, and tuition remission benefits starting after 90 days of employment. (Please note that eligibility for all University benefits is subject to applicable policies, practices, and requirements.)
Review of applications will begin on October 31, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Preference will be given to interested applicants who submit applications and all required materials by October 31, 2021.
- The expected teaching commitment is 9 credit hours per semester; this is a full-time, 9-month (August-May) position.
- Enhance, develop, and teach the equivalent of 3 courses per semester across all levels of the curriculum. In addition to electrical engineering courses and labs, the faculty also teach introductory and general engineering courses. There are opportunities to develop new courses, and some courses include both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Mentor and advise students on capstone projects (projects are counted as part of the teaching commitment).
- Pursue scholarly activity within the discipline by developing an independent research program that enhances teaching and program offerings.
- Provide service to the department, school, university, and greater community.
- Assist with program assessments and accreditation reports.
Education & Experience
- Required: Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field at the time the position will start (August 2022).
- Required: Lived experience, knowledge, skills, and/or success in diversity, equity and inclusion work within or transferable to higher education.
- Required: Ability to enhance and teach variety of electrical engineering courses and labs.
- Required: Ability to enhance and teach general engineering courses.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Preferred
- Evidence of effective course development and teaching at the university level.
- Ability to engage undergraduate students in meaningful research.
- Evidence of effective collaborative research with other faculty.
- Training or experience in engineering education.
Interested applicants should submit the following materials with their completed applications. A complete application includes the following documents:
1) Cover Letter that articulates: understanding of the UP mission; reason for interest in UP; how you meet the job requirements; and how you plan to enhance the current electrical engineering courses and program.
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Statement of Teaching discussing your philosophy regarding undergraduate education (maximum 1 page).
4) Statement of Scholarship discussing your research interests and plans and manner of involving undergraduate students (maximum 1 page).
5) Statement of past and/or proposed contributions to advance diversity, equity and/or inclusivity (maximum 1 page).
6) Contact information for a least three professional references. On this document, please also include a sentence to let us know where you learned about this position.
If any of these items are missing, the application is considered incomplete and will not be reviewed by the search committee. All materials should be submitted as attachments with your online application (PDF format is preferred).
The primary mode of instruction is in-person, although remote teaching may be necessary. Candidates are responsible for acquiring visa and/or other requirements for employment.