Professor of Practice
Mechanical Engineering Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
We seek to hire a Professor of Practice (PoP) to promote the integration of academic scholarship with practical experience into two new important teaching and research topics. The primary focus of this position will be to establish and develop a program of instruction in the areas of "Cold Spray Technology" and "Failure Analysis and Materials Sustainability" to take advantage of years of practical knowledge and experience.
The duties to be undertaken by the Professor of Practice include but are not limited to the following:
- Development of the curricula for two new courses at WPI. The first will focus on Cold Spray Technology and the second on Failure Analysis and Materials Sustainability. The first course will be offered during the first year of residence.
- Establishment of a Center of Excellence in Cold Spray Technology that will become internationally recognized and provide the foundation on which to build unique capabilities, serve as a 'magnet' to attract sponsors, sustain a dedicated external partnerships and provide practical hands-on experience for undergraduate and graduate students. This Center will promote WPI as a strong academic leader in the areas of Cold Spray and Additive Manufacturing.
- Creation of a external partnerships dedicated to research and development in Cold Spray Technology consisting of industry, Government and academic institutes to promote interdisciplinary programs/projects in Additive Manufacturing and to broaden student and faculty participation.
- Establish WPI as the permanent site for the Cold Spray Action Team (CSAT) Conference which is normally attended by over 325 people from all over the world. This will help secure WPI as a Center of Excellence in Cold Spray Technology and promote sponsors from industry and Government agencies including the Department of Defense, National Laboratories, the Department of Energy etc.
- Establishment of the Laboratory for Failure Analysis and Materials Sustainability that will be the intellectual center for activities in failure analysis, materials selection and materials sustainability at WPI. This laboratory will be integrated in the new course in failure analysis as well as courses in materials science and mechanical behavior of materials.
We seek to hire a Professor of Practice (PoP) to promote the integration of academic scholarship with practical experience into two new important teaching and research topics. The primary focus of this position will be to establish and develop a program of instruction in the areas of "Cold Spray Technology" and "Failure Analysis and Materials Sustainability" to take advantage of years of practical knowledge and experience. This PoP will develop new courses in Cold Spay Technology as well as Failure Analysis and Materials Sustainability. The PoP will also conduct seminars, and workshops on cold spay and failure analysis as well as teach undergraduate and graduate courses. The PoP will develop the curriculum for these new courses with a target of introducing the new course during the first year. This PoP may also teach ME2820 Materials Processing, ES2001 Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering or existing senior and graduate level courses in materials engineering.
The PoP will also develop external partnership for a Center of Excellence in Cold Spray Technology at WPI. This will include a dedicated facility with participation from industry, Government and other academic institutes. This Center of Excellence will include MQP and IQP students, as well as graduate students. This effort will include forming collaborative teaching and research opportunities and providing technical direction in research programs resulting in quality publications, patents and practical experience for undergraduate and graduate students. Coordinating the research of undergraduate and graduate students, managing and integrating project tasks and preparing project deliverables for the sponsor.
In addition, a Laboratory for Failure Analysis and Materials Sustainability will also be created to teach the methodology and techniques of failure analysis. Case studies in failure analysis will be an integral part of this course. Both MQPs and IQPs as well as graduate projects will be conducted in this laboratory. The laboratory will be used in the new course in Failure Analysis and Materials Sustainability.
The Professor of Practice will develop the program of instruction in the form of undergraduate and graduate projects (IQPS, MQPs and graduate projects), seminars, workshops and courses in the areas of Cold Spray Technology and Failure Analysis.
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of References
- Research & Teaching Profile
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Professor-of-Practice_R0000428
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.