Full-Time Lecturer Position in Computer Engineering
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the College of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth invites applications for a Full-Time Lecturer position in the area of Embedded Systems Design starting in September 2021. This is a 9-month, non- tenure-track position with primary responsibilities for undergraduate and graduate classroom and laboratory instructions. Initial appointment is up to 2 years, with possibility of renewal.
The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is located in the beautiful ocean side community of Dartmouth, about an hour south of Boston, half-hour east of Providence, and half-hour west of Cape Cod. It offers a world class education to more than 9,300 undergraduate and graduate students each year in over 40 undergraduate and 23 graduate programs offered by the College of Engineering, College of Nursing, Charlton College of Business, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Visual and Performing Arts, School of Law and School for Marine Science and Technology.
UMass Dartmouth has transformed the lives of 40,000 alumni and distinguishes itself as a vibrant, public research university dedicated to engaged learning and innovative research. It is the only Massachusetts Tier 1 national research university south of Boston and serves as a catalyst for the development of marine science and technology industries along the south coast. The College of Engineering is comprised of six departments: Bioengineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer and Information Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Physics. We offer 8 undergraduate degree programs, 8 concentrations, 11 graduate programs, and 7 accelerated BS-MS programs that serve more than 1,100 undergraduate and 300 graduate students. Our mission is to prepare graduates to meet 21st-century technological challenges and improve the well-being of society; create new knowledge in engineering, technology, and electrical and computer engineering; and engage and develop students to become leaders in their fields through service and scholarship.
It is expected the successful candidate will be an engaging and effective teacher with a strong commitment to student learning and success. Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate CPE (Computer Engineering) courses including computer hardware- oriented labs; providing assistance in senior capstone projects; collaborating with faculty to enhance curriculum; academic advising; participating in department service activities; and engaging in college and university diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives. The teaching load will be 6 courses per year, depending on the advising and service load.
- Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, with an emphasis in embedded systems hardware and software design; fabrication and applications to printed circuit boards (PCB) within embedded systems and Internet of Things (IoT) applications, or related field
- Familiar with PCB design and manufacturing CAD tools (e.g., Autodesk’s Eagle CAD) and embedded systems firmware/software development tools (e.g., Atmel studio)
- Experience with laboratory test equipment use and application to embedded systems
- Experience with teaching at the college level
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence as well as diversity, equity and inclusion
- Currently authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis
- PhD degree in Computer Engineering, with an emphasis in embedded systems hardware and software design; fabrication and applications to printed circuit boards (PCB) within embedded systems and IoT applications, or related field
- Documented success in teaching at the college level
- Experience with PCB design and their application to real-time embedded and the Internet of Things (IoT) systems
- Experience in the use and application of laboratory tools for embedded systems design and analysis
- R&D experience in the area of embedded systems design and analysis or related areas
- Experience with PCB design and manufacturing CAD tools (e.g. Autodesk’s Eagle CAD) and embedded systems firmware/software development tools (e.g. Atmel studio)
- We are especially interested in receiving qualified applications from minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Applicants are invited to submit electronically a letter of interest; curriculum vitae; contact information for at least three professional references; and a one-page statement of teaching interests and philosophy. Apply online at: http://careers.umassd.edu/dartmouth/en-us/job/507900/full-time-lecturer-eng…
Employment is contingent upon verification of background/credentials and work authorization. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Information about the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department can be found at https://www.umassd.edu/engineering/ece/
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth employees and applicants for employment are protected by federal laws, Presidential Executive Orders, and state and local laws designed to protect employees and job applicants from discrimination on the bases of race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, military service, veteran status or other non-merit based factors.
The University of Massachusetts reserves the right to conduct background checks on potential employees.