The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa, which is dynamically shaping the future. In realising this vision, UJ embraces innovation and the collaborative pursuit of knowledge and strives towards global excellence and stature (GES). The embodiment of core values, such as independent thinking, meaningful engagement and sustainable development with a foundation deeply rooted in consistency and transparency, make the University an international institution of choice for global excellence and stature.
Through relevant processes of Senate and other groups at the University, UJ Council has supported a major catalytic initiative for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR). The Initiative, envisioned by the Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Prof Tshilidzi Marwala, is to "position UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution within the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa".
Through the five-year strategic initiative, the University will create a number of new academic positions. We are interested in appointing outstanding scholars of national and international stature who are capable of working between academic departments and 4IR disciplines. As specified hereunder, IIS has three (3) positions at the level of Senior Lecturer (1) and Associate Professor (2).
Develop a teaching portfolio reflecting:
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SOTL) through:
o Postgraduate education;
o Supervision of postgraduate students at masters and doctoral level;
o Supervision and partnership with postdoctoral research fellows;
o Multidisciplinary teaching activities through collaboration with other faculties
Conduct leading research in areas aligned to 4IR producing recognised research outputs (ISI-/IBSS-listed journals, book chapters, books);
Advance the discipline through industrial work, community engagement and active participation in voluntary associations / professional societies;
Drive the GES strategic objectives of the University of Johannesburg.
Interact closely with industry, government and international organisations for collaboration and strategic partnerships in the area of 4IR;
Develop the postgraduate education – research – innovation nexus, through mentoring of postgraduate students, yielding, through the Technology Transfer Office, to a culture of technology start-ups;
Through technical collaboration, using instruments such as contracted or sponsored research, the applicant must attract funded external projects and/or funding for the existing programme set;
Senior lecturer/Associate Professor:
- PhD qualification in an appropriate discipline with specialisation in 4IR aligned areas like Artificial Intelligence, Data Analysis, Data Mining, Blockchain, Machine Learning, Big Data, Cyber Security, Business, Policy Development etc;
- Registered with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) (or other statutory bodies) or must undertake to do so within three (3) months of joining the University;
- A minimum of three years teaching experience at a tertiary institution, or
- A minimum of three years industrial experience.
- Proven track record of recognized research outputs (ISI- or IBSS- listed journal publications);
- Proven skills and experience in 4IR related areas – our strive, through this advert, is to develop the technical implementation capacity;
- Associate Professor: proven track record of externally sponsored projects. For the associate professor track, the candidate should also have postgraduate supervision experience or significant industrial accomplishments (such as the generation of intellectual property (IP));
- Strong academic character;
- Industrial experience;
- Demonstrated leadership skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong commitment to teaching, research and innovation;
- Noteworthy career in industry or academic institution;
- For Associate Professor: National Research Foundation (NRF) rating is recommended, or immediate application in case of an offer made by UJ. NRF rating is recommended for all candidates with a doctorate qualification. International applicants must be eligible to apply for NRF rating at commencement of the next application cycle ;
COMMENCEMENT OF DUTIES: As soon as possible
ENQUIRIES REGARDING THE JOB CONTENT: Prof Babu Sena Paul 011 559 4404 or at email@example.com
LOGIN AND APPLY ONLINE AT http://jobs.uj.ac.za
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you require technical support/ assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337 / 0861 CAREER or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 21 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.