The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) at American University of Sharjah invites applications for the position of Lab Instructor commencing in Fall Semester 2019. The successful candidate is expected to prepare lab materials in consultation with the faculty, provide laboratory instruction to students, and contribute to the continuous improvement of lab course materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct in laboratories related to academic programs in computer science and computer engineering
- Work with faculty to develop lab materials for experiments
- Closely administer lab activities and provide timely feedback to faculty
- Supervise students in a professional manner and grade lab assignments
- Assist students in senior design project activities
- Conduct other duties as assigned by the Head of Department
- Master’s degree in computer engineering or computer science or a related area
- Excellent skills in the Java programming language including collections and multithreading
- Familiarity with software design patterns
- Excellent skills in using Node.JS/Express or similar server-side technologies
- Experience with NSQL databases like CouchDB or MongoDB
- Experience with cross-platform web-application platforms like Cordova/Ionic
- Familiarity with cloud-based platforms like AWS
- Experience in interfacing sensors and actuators to microcontrollers
- Good skills in programming with C
- Familiarity with the UML notation and OO design
- Hands-on experience in troubleshooting and maintaining lab equipment.
- Minimum two years of relevant experience (in academia or industry)
- Knowledge of basic networking and network device configuration
- Good communication skills in English (spoken and written)
Applicants should fill out an application form and upload the required documents (PDF) using the following link:
The required documents are a cover letter and a detailed curriculum vitae (including a teaching statement, and names of at least three references who would be willing to write letters of recommendation). The position is open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The department has approximately 450 undergraduate students, 20 graduate students, 14 full-time faculty and 6 lab instructors. The department offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a Master of Science in Computer Engineering.
AUS is located in the Emirate of Sharjah (about 15 km from Dubai), UAE. AUS is an independent, not-for-profit, coeducational university, serving some 5,500 students of more than 90 nationalities.
AUS is licensed and its programs are accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the UAE Ministry of Education’s Higher Education Affairs Division. AUS has been accredited in the United States of America by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA, Tel +1 215 662 5606) since June 2004. Additionally, the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET and the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET (http://www.abet.org).
Applications will be reviewed starting November 1, 2018, and the reviewing will continue until the position is filled and the posting is removed from the AUS website. We welcome questions related to this posting.