Aerospace Engineering - JM
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
We seek to hire a Researcher to join our team on a new project sponsored by the U.S. Army Combat Capability Development Command Data & Analysis Center (DEVCOM DAC). The goal of this project is to create, develop, and/or assess combat simulations and predict performance outcomes based on complex, multi-variant inputs. As robotic devices move from laboratories to the battlefield it is increasingly important to be able to efficiently measure the performance of human-robot systems (HRS) in order to compare alternatives, verify that a system possesses intended capabilities, or characterize systems and configurations that may be needed to accomplish particular missions.
- Lead efforts on modeling and simulation of scenarios of interest to the project sponsor
- Lead efforts on baseline scenario optimization and
- Contribute to simulation software development and synthetic data generation
- Interact with other researchers on the team to enable seamless multidisciplinary collaboration
- Collaborate with sponsoring program officers throughout the project
- Contribute to project deliverables including reporting and technical presentation
- Disseminate research via regular scholarly publications
- Supervise one or more graduate research assistant(s)
The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field with research experience in dynamical systems modeling, simulation, and control. Additional desired qualifications include:
- Experience with MATLAB and/or other scientific programming languages for dynamical system simulations (e.g., Python, Fortran)
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques, e.g., reinforcement learning
- Graduate research assistant
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Temporary-Researcher_R0001913
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.