The Consortium for Engineered Trenchless Technologies (CETT) is dedicated to advancing the design and application of trenchless technology in Canada and across the globe. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, known as the "capital of trenchless technology," we have priveleged access to trenchless pioneers and state-of-the-art facilities thorugh our industry partnerships. Under the NSERC Associate Industrial Research Chair (IRC) in Underground Trenchless Construction, members of this dynamic, interdisciplinary research team collaborate with industry partners to address the most pressing challenges in the field today and lay the foundation for excellence in innovation and eduction.
The successful candidate will join CETT and work with a multidisciplinary research team on different aspects of research into trenchless technologies, with a focus on analysis of field data from complex trenchless projects. All trenchless technologies include mechanical procedures, and this role involves applying expertise in mechanical engineering to enhance understanding of the fundamentals of trenchless techniques and increase the efficiency of trenchless operations. This position represents a unique and challenging opportunity at the interface between field and laboratory research in both theoretical and applied areas of trenchless technology.
- Work with cutting-edge data analysis techniques to analyze large datasets from projects in the field
- Apply data mining/or machine learning methods to generate prediction models for trenchless construction methods
- Collaborate with others to develop, refine, and debug code for data analysis and ensure clear documentation of all code developed
- Coordinate with other research group members on key project deliverables
- Develop and maintain clear, organized records of research findings and data analysis
- Draft and revise manuscripts for publication in high impact journals
- Keep current with regards to the latest developments in research trends and outcomes in relevant areas and apply these to advance assigned projects
- Prepare abstracts for conferences and/or meetings and present research findings at meetings
- Assist in preparation of reports for funding agencies and industry partners
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Familiar with data analysis programming languages, e.g. Python or Matlab
- Knowledge of machine learning and/or data mining
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and solid problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and meet project timelines
- Experience with machine learning and/or data mining
- Some knowledge of or familiarity with trenchless technology would be an asset
Please send inquiries and applications to email@example.com
Applications should include a one-page cover letter (in docx or pdf format) expressing your past experience with data analysis, your CV, as well as a sample paper and the names and contact information of three references.
To assist the University in complying with mandatory reporting requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (R203 (e)), please include the first digit of your Canadian Social Insurance Number in your application. If you do not have a Canadian Social Insurance Number, please indicate this in your application.
This is a one-year position commencing February 1, 2021. Applications will be considered immediately until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
(NOTE: While this position will initially be remote, as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted at the University of Alberta it is expected that this will be an in-person position.)