Professor and Director, Systems Engineering Program
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) invites applications and nominations for the position of Professor and Director of the Systems Engineering Program. The Systems Engineering program plays a critical role in WPI's graduate education environment, offering Master of Science degrees in Systems Engineering and Systems Engineering Leadership, the Ph.D. degree in Systems Engineering, and graduate level certificates. Program faculty integrate content from engineering, science, business, leadership, and management. The curriculum exemplifies the WPI tradition of theory and practice and incorporates input from engineers currently practicing systems engineering, systems thinking, and technical leadership.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
The new Director will continue to build on the program's leading position in WPI's distinctive academic program, which has been recognized globally and nationally for:
- Interdisciplinary, project-based education with the NAE's Bernard M. Gordon prize for Innovation in Engineering and Technology Education,
- Faculty who are ranked #1 by the Wall Street Journal in balancing teaching and research, and
- Progressive tenure and promotion policies that elevate teaching and provide multiple paths to promotion
Additionally, the 2021 COACHE Faculty Job Satisfaction Survey ranked WPI #1 among peers for faculty satisfaction with interdisciplinary work, mentoring, and collaboration.
Required qualifications for the position include:
- An earned doctorate in engineering, computer science, or closely related area; Systems Engineering experience is preferred.
- Strong research experience in the general areas of systems engineering, including but not limited to: systems thinking, system modeling, complex systems, risk management, system safety, security, and reliability.
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and a distinguished record in scholarship and funding commensurate with a tenured appointment at the full professor level
The candidate must demonstrate outstanding leadership, management and mentoring ability, and a clear vision for the future of the program. The new Director will be expected to build upon the program's nationally recognized strengths to recruit and retain outstanding faculty with particular emphasis on institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion goals. Furthermore, the candidate must be able to promote new funding opportunities and scholarly initiatives by fostering corporate relations, working with WPI's Advancement and Government / Community Relations offices, and facilitating internal and external research collaborations. Evidence of successful collaboration in multi-disciplinary teams is highly encouraged. The selected candidate is also expected to support the teaching and advising mission of the department, while providing service to the professional community and WPI.
Review of applications will begin on May 1, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions can be addressed to Search Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please submit the following documents for consideration:
- A cover letter.
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- A statement describing leadership, teaching, research and service experience and accomplishments.
- A statement describing the candidate's vision and goals as Director of Systems Engineering, including the candidate's approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion in Systems Engineering specifically and in higher education more broadly.
- The names and full contact information of at least five professional references.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated (including a booster shot) for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Professor-and-Director--Systems-Engineering-Program_R0001910
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.