One AFRL-funded postdoctoral research position will be available from October 2020 in the area of advanced computer modelling of aluminum alloy solidification within the group of Professor Deep Choudhuri at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology.
Successful candidate will carry our research in ab initio modelling of alloy solidification to examine
1. Structure of the liquid melt as a function of alloying additions
2. Thermodynamic evaluation of quasicrystalline structure in melt and solid states using Ab Inito MD simulations
3. Interfacial structures and energies quasicrystalline structure in Al alloys
4. Develop Monte Carlo codes to couple with existing DFT calculators, e.g. VASP
Successful candidates will be offered a competitive salary among publicly funded universities. Additionally, the postdoctoral candidate will have opportunity of interact closely with scientists in industry and national laboratories. The funding will be for 2 years.
1. PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or Mechanical Engineering specializing in metal alloys. Some knowledge in metal solidification behavior will be helpful, but not required. MUST have received PhD degree in the last 3 years.
2. MUST have a strong background in DFT methodology/simulations, preferably using VASP, in an HPC-cluster environment.
3. Knowledge of Python scripting and C++ programming
4. Experience in MD simulations is desirable, but not mandatory
5. The candidate MUST have excellent communication skills via scientific publications and technical presentations. This position mandates excellent interpersonal skills necessary for a multi-disciplinary team fast-paced research environment.
6. The candidate MUST show good judgement, accountability and be a self-starter.
7. Since this project will be conducted in conjunction with AFRL, permanent residents (Green Card) or US citizens will be given preference. However, outstanding candidates will also be considered.
For best consideration, interested candidates are requested to send their CV and one key publication to Dr. Deep Choudhuri at firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug 31st 2020