The School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering (MIME) at Oregon State University invites applications for full-time (1.0FTE), 12-month, non-tenure track (fixed-term) position of Instructor (Professional Design Engineering). Reappointment is at the discretion of the School Head and Dean. Applicants must hold a MS in a relevant field though a PhD is preferred. The successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate courses in in the capstone sequence and other undergraduate courses according to instructional needs and the interests of the instructor. In enacting a philosophy of inclusive excellence, the School welcomes innovations in engineering instruction and instructors who reflect the greater diversity of experience and identities of Oregon State engineers. Candidates who meet the School’s promotion standards may be considered for appointment at the rank of Senior Instructor via an exception process.
Oregon State University is located in Corvallis, OR with approximately 27,000 students enrolled. The College of Engineering is the largest college with approximately 9,000 students. Within the School of MIME, there are over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students across the industrial, energy systems, manufacturing engineering, mechanical engineering, robotics, and materials science programs. As leaders in emerging interdisciplinary research areas, our faculty collectively garner more than $12 million annually in research funding and are making an impact on the professions of engineering.
OSU is situated on a beautiful 400-acre campus. Corvallis is a community of 55,000 people in the Willamette Valley between Portland and Eugene and is an idyllic college town. It has been rated one of America’s most livable small cities for its classic structures, tree-lined streets, and Willamette River frontage. Corvallis has been recognized as one of the best college towns, one of the top ten places to live, and as having the highest Peace Corps volunteers per capita, the highest number of green buildings per capita, and was ranked #1 in patents per capita. Located about 90 miles south of Portland, a major urban area with an international airport and thriving industry, and about 40 miles from the state capitol in Salem, Corvallis sits in the middle of Oregon’s finest recreational and scenic areas: ocean beaches, lakes, rivers, forests, high desert, and the rugged Cascade and Coast mountain ranges are all within a short driving distance.
View the full position announcement at http://jobs.oregonstate.edu/ (posting #P04342UF). Apply online with a letter of interest; vita; a one-page statement of teaching interests; a one-page statement outlining how your experience, education, and/or training will help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community; a video recording of a full college-level lecture or equivalent instructional presentation; one sample course syllabus; and names and contact information for three references. In the interest of confidentiality, references will be contacted upon consent of the candidate.
Review of applications will begin on June 8, 2021 and will continue until positions are filled.
Oregon State University has a strong institutional commitment to diversity and multiculturalism and provides a welcoming atmosphere with unique professional opportunities for leaders from underrepresented groups. OSU seeks diversity as a source of enrichment for our university community. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who share our vision of an inclusive community. The College of Engineering ranks high nationally in terms of the percentage of women faculty, and the university supports dual-career applications.
75% Teaching and related duties:
- Teach six course sections each year
- Manage undergraduate and graduate teaching assistants
- Assess student learning for each assigned course, each term, and prepare proper documentation in support of the accreditation process
15% Partnerships / Outreach
- Coordinate with the School’s Director of Industry Research and Capstone Coordinator to build and strengthen strategic external partnerships with industry and university partner institutions.
- Serve on the capstone committee and other relevant school, college, or university committees.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by June 08, 2021. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position has been filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
When applying, you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A letter of interest indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
2) CV that includes the names of at least three professional references with their email addresses and telephone contact numbers listed (upload as ‘Professional References’ if not included with your vitae).
3) A one-page statement of teaching interests
4) A one-page statement outlining how your experience, education, and/or training will help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community
5) A video recording of a lecture – Upload as Other Document 1
6) A sample course syllabus – Upload as Other Document 2