Electronics Integration and Reliability (EILB) is a research group at Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering studying advanced materials and bonding technologies to realize ubiquitous sensor/actuator and high-temperature capable power electronics systems. The future of all miniaturized, sustainable and energy-efficient smart systems containing sensors, MEMS actuators, silicon photonics, RF and power components, as well as SoCs is relying on wafer-level bonding technologies to integrate a broad range of technologies.
We are looking for a doctoral candidate to develop miniaturized smart systems using three-dimensional (3D) heterogeneous integration. Join us in developing beyond state-of-the-art technologies for semiconductor-based devices. The work will investigate and develop direct bonding for III-nitrides and III/V semiconductors for alternative silicon-on-insulator (SOI)-based devices. Specifically, you will be involved in the growth of high-quality thin films and process development activities utilizing metal-organic vapor phase epitaxy (MOVPE), among others. Additionally, there will be an emphasis on thermal, electrical, and microstructural characterization of the developed alternative SOI-based technologies. The work supports several EU-funded projects and offers a unique lookout into European electronic components and systems research.
- M.Sc. or equivalent degree in a suitable area (e.g. electrical engineering, physics or materials science)
- good knowledge and understanding of MEMS and semiconductor technologies
- experience or genuine interest in micro- and nanofabrication
- theoretical understanding of relevant characterization methods
- strong analytical and writing skills
- fixed-term position for 4-year PhD studies
- opportunity to conduct independent research in a cutting-edge infrastructure of Micronova (www.micronova.fi)
- possibility of building international networks within large pan-European projects, in which the EILB team is a participant
- multidisciplinary course curriculum of Aalto University
- starting monthly salary of 2611,72 € with pay raises according to progress in studies and publications
- occupational health and social security benefits
The appointment is available immediately.
How to apply
To apply, submit the documents indicated below using the online recruitment system link ‘Apply now’, by February 19th, 2023. Application materials should be submitted in a single pdf file and in English.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- a short cover letter stating your motivation for the position
- a CV
- a copy of study records
- the names and contact details of 2 references
The application materials will not be returned.
For additional information in recruitment process-related questions, please contact HR Partner Camilla Hanganpää, email@example.com.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
Aalto University is where science and art meet technology and business. We shape a sustainable future by making research breakthroughs in and across our disciplines, sparking the game changers of tomorrow and creating novel solutions to major global challenges. Our community is made up of 12 000 students, 400 professors and close to 4 000 other faculty and staff working on our dynamic campus in Espoo, Greater Helsinki, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
More about Aalto University: