The Department of Architectural Engineering in the College of Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University in University Park, PA invites applications for Master of Engineering (M.Eng.), Master of Science (M.S.), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree programs.
Both students who are self-funded and those who seek graduate assistantships are encouraged to apply. The department offers several graduate research and teaching assistantships for students pursuing the M.S. and Ph.D. degree programs every year.
The world-renowned faculty of Penn State’s Department of Architectural Engineering apply backgrounds in building mechanical, lighting and electrical systems, acoustics, structures, construction management, and other disciplines to specialize in the following areas:
● improving the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of connected buildings;
● developing communities supported by renewable energy sources and by distributed energy networks;
● smart buildings embedded with sensors and supported with artificial intelligence;
● improving the understanding of the dynamic relationships between buildings and their occupants, stakeholders, and design participants;
● emerging building materials and processes through the adaptation and integration of advanced computational and/or experimental technologies;
● building-technology frontiers for construction automation and future construction workforce and job site safety;
● computer-aided parametric design paradigms and modularization of buildings;
● human health, comfort, and productivity implications of indoor environments;
● multidisciplinary building research (e.g. smart grids, and community microgrids);
● integration of renewable energy sources to buildings, and smart energy sources design for buildings.
Graduate students will have the opportunity to contribute to existing interdisciplinary university-wide organizations, including the Sustainability Institute, the Social Science Research Institute (SSRI), the Materials Research Institute (MRI), the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL), the Institute of Energy and the Environment (IEE), the Institute for CyberScience (ICS), and Center for Security Research and Education (CSRE) and the Penn State Navy Yard Living Laboratory, among others.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. The anticipated start dates are January 2020 or August 2020.
Applications should include: full resume or C.V., transcripts from previous degrees, a statement of intent, contact information for three references, official GRE scores, and TOEFL/IELTS scores (for international applicants). Please choose one or more of the specializations noted above and designate it in your statement of intent. For more information about the department and to apply please visit – https://www.ae.psu.edu/academics/graduate/how-to-apply.aspx.
Direct inquiries to Dr. Melika Sharifironizi, Graduate Student Recruitment Lead, Department of Architectural Engineering, 104 Engineering Unit A, University Park, PA 16802; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Process inquiries can be directed to Judy Heltman, Graduate Program and Placement Coordinator, Department of Architectural Engineering at email@example.com.