The Role of The National Water and Energy Center (NWEC) is a multidisciplinary research and consultancy center based at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) in Al Ain. Its scope of research encompasses assessment, development, management and sustainability of energy, groundwater, surface water, desalinated water, and treated wastewater both quantitatively and qualitatively. The Center provides high-impact research and innovative practical solutions to water and energy-related challenges across the United Arab Emirates and beyond. The NWEC addresses the country’s growing water and energy needs, strengthens the knowledge base and informs water decisions at local, regional, and international levels. It contributes to the development of water policies and scientifically based solutions through conducting basic and applied research, consultation services, capacity building projects, and collaboration across the country’s water and energy science and management institutions. The international team of the NWEC provides expertise in water and energy resources and environmental management and facilitates the dissemination of knowledge between the research community, water authorities and organizations, and policy and decision makers. The NWEC offers a stimulating research environment, a comprehensive pool of field and laboratory equipment, and access to state-of-the-art modeling and computational infrastructure.
The announced position is within the National Water and Energy Center, United Arab Emirates University. The scientific staff at the Center has access to state-of-the-art facilities, including a series of advanced laboratories, powerful computer infrastructure and oceangoing research vessels. We offer an international and collaborative research environment at the Center and provide the opportunity to work in an innovative, motivated, and successful team. We are looking for highly motivated and talented candidates to join our group immediately. Applications are invited from outstanding graduates in groundwater-related fields who have relevant experience with demonstrated expertise/track record in groundwater modeling and Solute Physical and numerical Simulation.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
We seek an enthusiastic PhD student holding an MSc degree (at the start of the contract) in natural sciences, Geosciences, or engineering with a strong component of hydrological/groundwater modelling and possess the following:
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Proven high-level-skills in numerical modelling and data processing
- Appropriate background in geostatistics and spatial data analysis techniques and software
- Strong and solid experience in GIS applications and techniques
- Experience with programming and other data science methods are an asset
- Ability to work with both finite difference (Modflow) and finite element (Sutra/Feflow) models is an asset
- Eagerness to develop multidisciplinary skills
- Demonstration of research ability through publication output in peer reviewed international journals is desirable
- Work independently and have strong collaborative skills
- A recent score (maximum two years) of at least 6.0 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic exam or equivalent
The application must include:
- Detailed CV
- Motivation letter
- List of publications (if any)
- The names of three referees
The application documents should be addressed and sent to Prof. Mohsen Sherif (email@example.com) as a single pdf file. For information and inquiries, please contact Prof. Mohsen Sherif (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Ahmed Sefelnasr (email@example.com).