The Helsinki Doctoral Education Network in Information and Communications Technology (HICT) is a joint initiative by Aalto University and the University of Helsinki, the two leading universities within this area in Finland. The network involves at present over 80 professors and over 200 doctoral researchers, and the participating units graduate altogether more than 40 new doctors each year.
The participating units of HICT have currently funding available for qualified doctoral researchers. We offer an exciting opportunity to join world-class research groups, with 21 research projects to choose from. The activities of HICT and the themes of open positions are structured along five research area specific tracks:
- Algorithms and machine learning
- Life science informatics
- Networks, networked systems and services
- Software and service engineering and systems
- User centered and creative technologies
If you wish to be considered as a new doctoral researcher in HICT you can apply to one or a number of doctoral researcher positions. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community submit your application via our electronic recruitment system. The application form will close 28th August 2022 at 23:59 Finnish time (UTC +3).
If you are currently working at Aalto University, please submit your application via HR System Workday (Career - Find jobs - Apply).
Please submit your attachments as a pdf file containing (all documents in English):
- Letter of motivation (max. one page). Please describe your background and future plans, and in particular the reasons for selecting the project(s) (you can get more information on the projects and supervisors through their web pages). Try to make your motivation letter as convincing as possible, so that the potential supervisors get interested. You do not have to write several motivation letters in case you apply for multiple projects, but if you prefer you can attach separate letters for individual projects.
- A curriculum vitae and list of publications with complete study and employment history (please see an example CV at Europass pages)
- A study transcript provided by the applicant’s university that lists studies completed and grades achieved.
- A copy of the M.Sc. degree certificate. In the Finnish university system, a person must have a Master’s degree in order to enroll for doctoral studies. If the degree is still pending, then a plan for its completion must be provided. (The letter describing the completion plan can be free-format)
We ask you also to provide contact details of referees from 2-3 senior academic people. We will contact your referees, if recommendation letters are required.
For more information, please see the list of positions and detailed information on the application process at: https://hict.fi/admissions/
More about Aalto University: