Reference: AE2020-0166 (Eu-Sysflex-CPES)
INESC TEC is now accepting grant applications to award 1 Research Grant (BI) with the reference EU-SysFlex funded by CE, project (reference 773505
1. GRANT DESCRIPTION
Type of grant: Research Grant (BI)
General scientific area: ENGINEERING
Scientific subarea: Electrical engineering
Grant duration: 12 months, starting on 2020-10-26, with the possibility of being renewed for a maximum term of two years, in the cases of students enrolled in a master’s degree, or up to four years, in the cases of students enrolled in a PhD.
Scientific advisor: José Villar
Workplace: INESC TEC, Porto, Portugal
Maintenance stipend: € 798,00 ou 1064,00, according to the table of monthly maintenance stipend for FCT grants, paid via bank transfer. Grant holders may be awarded potential supplements, according to a quarterly evaluation process (Articles 19, 21 and 22 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and Annex II), up to a maximum limit of 50% of the monthly maintenance stipend.
Costs attributable to INESC TEC may include registration, enrolment or tuition fee stipend, either directly or through
reimbursement, during the grant duration.
The grant holder will benefit from health insurance, supported by INESC TEC.
- improve the knowledge on the specific scientific area of the grant;
- identify and select the appropriate methodologies for the studies needed;
- develop research skills by the application of the selected methodologies;
- apply critical analyses to the assessment of the research process followed and to the results obtained.
3. BRIEF PRESENTATION OF THE WORK PROGRAMME AND TRAINING:
- make a revision on new commercialization models for system services;
- review the state of the art of local markets and flexibility provision in distribution grids;
- gain further knowledge on local market design for the provision of flexibility with distributed resources, including storage;
- develop market tools for simulating and testing the approaches selected, complemented with the expected improvements;
- propose additional improvements to the conceptual market designed;
- validate the tools developed under a real Environment;
- publication of a scientific paper with the methodology finally developed and the results reached;
- writing a report with the activities developed during this grant;
4. REQUIRED PROFILE:
Degree in Electrical Engineering, Informatics, Computer Science or similar
The awarding of the fellowship is dependent on the applicants’ enrolment in study cycle or non-award courses of
Higher Education Institutions.
Experience in market models applied to distribution grids for the provision of system services; Experience programming computational market models; Fluency in English and Portuguese (spoken and written)
programming skills and knowledge of C, C++, GAMS, Matlab and Python; databases programming and management skills;
1 paper published in a conference or journal with peer review;
5. EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Selection criteria and corresponding valuation: the first phase comprises the Academic Evaluation (AC), based on the criteria referred to in Article 12 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC, while the second phase comprehends the Individual Interview (EI). All factors are evaluated on a scale of 0 to 100, taking into account the applicants’ merit, suitability and conformity with the preference factors.
The weight of the AC factors are as follows: Academic Qualifications (FA, 50%), Scientific Publications (PC, 20%), Experience (EX, 20%) and Motivation Letter (CM, 10%).
Candidates who score less than 50 points in the AC average will be considered excluded on absolute merit. The top five candidates approved on absolute merit will be qualified for the individual interview. The Final Grade (CF) is obtained by the weighted average of AC (80%) and EI (20%).
The Selection Jury is composed of the following members:
President of the Jury: José Villar
Full member: Bernardo Silva
Full member: Ricardo Jorge Bessa
Substitute member: Clara Sofia Gouveia
Release of results and prior hearing: the results of the selection process, as well as the terms and procedures for prior hearing, will be released to the applicants by email, under the terms referred to in Article 13 of the Regulations for Studentships and Fellowships of INESC TEC.
6. FORMALISATION OF APPLICATIONS:
1. Motivation letter;
2. Curriculum Vitae (must include the list of previous fellowships, their type, beginning and end dates, funding entities and host institutions);
3. Certificate or diploma degree dully recognised in Portugal;
l Documents proving the awarding of academic degrees and diplomas, or the according recognition – in cases of academic degrees or
diplomas granted by a foreign higher education institution – can be dismissed in the application process, and replaced by the applicant’s declaration of honour, with the verification of said condition taking place during the grant’s hiring stage.
4. Proof of enrollment in a degree awarding study cycle or in a non degree awarding Higher Education program.
l The proof of enrollment may be presented just during the grant hiring stage.
5. Signed declaration stating the infringement of the grant holder’s duties (article 14, no. 4)
6. Documental evidence to support the country of residence, residence permit or other legally equivalent document, in cases where the applicant is a foreigner or non-resident in Portugal – valid until the beginning of the grant.
7. Other supporting documents relevant to the final assessment.
Failure to deliver the required documents within the 90-day period after the date of the notice of the conditional awarding of the grant implies its cancellation.
Application period: From 2020-09-23 to 2020-10-09
Submission of applications: the application will be formalised by submitting the form available in the Work With Us section of INESC TEC website.
7. BINDING LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
The hiring process shall comply with the current legislation regarding the Research Grant Holder Statute, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current wording, as well as by the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and for FCT Grants Regulation in force.
For more information, please check the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and relevant annexes at www.inesctec.pt/bolsas