The College of Aviation (COA) at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Daytona Beach invites applications and nominations for the position of Chair, Department of Aviation Maintenance Science. The College seeks a dynamic, nationally recognized academic leader with significant practical experience in the Aviation Maintenance Science (AMS) discipline to lead the second largest department within the COA. This 12-month faculty appointment is at our campus in Daytona Beach, FL.
The COA has an FAA-approved Part 147 A&P Program contained within the AMS degree program, which provides greater opportunities for career advancement. The AMS program at ERAU is taught by dedicated faculty who are also industry professionals. Together, they have more than 300 years of combined knowledge and experience.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is the gold standard in Aviation Maintenance Science education. The program draws students from around the world who are serious about their future careers. Its talented faculty, state of the art classrooms, lab facilities, and use of instructional best-practices mean that its graduates are sought after by some of the largest employers in the world.
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Aviation, the Chair of the Department of Aviation Maintenance Science will be responsible for providing leadership in the development of faculty, academic programs, as well as participating in student recruitment, enrollment and retention efforts. He/she will serve on the college leadership team, develop and maintain channels of communication with professional groups and industry to ensure that its program is providing appropriate educational preparation for its students. The Department Chair will support the faculty in the department to embrace new teaching methods and research opportunities. The Department Chair will be responsible for the implementation of an effective safety management system to ensure the safety of all stakeholders.
Consideration of applications will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate will have:
- Earned a master’s or doctoral degree from an accredited institution.
- Experience in leading a growing and dynamic organization.
- Experience in developing and maintaining channels of communication with professional groups and industry to ensure that the program is providing appropriate educational preparation for the students.
- Experience in maintaining academic excellence with respect to a department’s teaching and research efforts.
- Experience in academic administration in scheduling courses, assigning faculty, evaluating faculty, ensuring appropriate recordkeeping and regulatory compliance, etc.
- Experience in overseeing the operation of an engine repair station and other AMS laboratory functions.
- Experience in develop a strong and competent faculty to meet the University curriculum requirements and high standards of the department.
- Demonstrated successful leadership experience at a four-year institution of higher education focused on teaching, research, and service (preferred).
- Have attained Tenure and attained the academic rank of Professor (preferred)
The Department Chair is expected to begin work no later than January 4, 2022; however, a later start may be negotiated. Applications should include a CV and a detailed letter discussing aviation and administrative leadership experience as well as academic qualifications that demonstrate a fit with the AMS Department and the position. All materials should be submitted online through our application system at http://careers.erau.edu. Please reference requisition R302105.