Reference: AE2020-0227 (STRX – CTM)
INESC TEC is now accepting grant applications to award 1 Post Doctoral Research Grant (BIPD) within the scope of the STRx funded by Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER) and by the Operational Programme for Competitiveness and Internationalisation, project (reference POCI-01-0247-FEDER-033623
1. GRANT DESCRIPTION
Type of grant: Post Doctoral Research Grant (BIPD)
General scientific area: ENGINEERING
Scientific subarea: Electrical engineering
Grant duration: 6 months, starting on 2021-01-04, with the possibility of being renewed for a maximum term of three years.
Scientific advisor: Luís Manuel Pessoa
Workplace: INESC TEC, Porto, Portugal
Maintenance stipend: € 1616,00, according to the table of monthly maintenance stipend for FCT grants, paid via bank transfer. Grant holders may be awarded potential supplements, according to a quarterly evaluation process (Articles 19, 21 and 22 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and Annex II), up to a maximum limit of 50% of the monthly maintenance stipend.
Costs attributable to INESC TEC may include registration, enrolment or tuition fee stipend, either directly or through reimbursement, during the grant duration.
The grant holder will benefit from health insurance, supported by INESC TEC.
- Enlarge the knowledge of the state of the art regarding digital signal processing in FPGA for digital beamforming; – Identification and selection of the most adequate optimization methods to address the proposed workplan: – Develop the research skills through the application of the selected methods; – Apply the scientific method on the research process and a critical attitude on the obtained results.
3. BRIEF PRESENTATION OF THE WORK PROGRAMME AND TRAINING:
- Development of the digital signal processing component of the system, through the implementation in FPGA of the digital beamformer.
- Implementation of a synthesizable RTL description (Verilog) of processing architectures and corresponding validation by simulation.
- Development of interface between baseband modem and FPGA and interface between FPGA and RF-frontend, therefore ensuring a perfect system integration.
- Writing of the grant activities report.
4. REQUIRED PROFILE:
PhD in in Electrical Engineering, or similar.
- Experience in digital signal processing logic architectures in FPGA. – Experience in synthesizable RTL description (Verilog) of processing architectures and corresponding validation by simulation
- Training in the development of FPGA realizations.
- 1 publication in a scientific journal from the first quartile (Q1) SCOPUS, as first author, in the area of the project.
5. EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Selection criteria and corresponding valuation: the first phase comprises the Academic Evaluation (AC), based on the criteria referred to in Article 12 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC, while the second phase comprehends the Individual Interview (EI). All factors are evaluated on a scale of 0 to 100, taking into account the applicants’ merit, suitability and conformity with the preference factors.
The weight of the AC factors are as follows: Academic Qualifications (FA, 30%), Scientific Publications (PC, 40%), Experience (EX, 20%) and Motivation Letter (CM, 10%). Candidates who score less than 50 points in the AC average will be considered excluded on absolute merit. The top five candidates approved on absolute merit will be qualified for the individual interview. The Final Grade (CF) is obtained by the weighted average of AC (90%) and EI (10%).
The Selection Jury is composed of the following members:
President of the Jury: Luís Manuel Pessoa
Full member: João Canas Ferreira
Full member: Henrique Salgado
Release of results and prior hearing: the results of the selection process, as well as the terms and procedures for prior hearing, will be released to the applicants by email, under the terms referred to in Article 13 of the Regulations for Studentships and Fellowships of INESC TEC.
6. FORMALISATION OF APPLICATIONS:
1. Motivation letter;
2. Curriculum Vitae (must include the list of previous fellowships, their type, beginning and end dates, funding entities and host institutions);
3. Certificate or diploma degree dully recognised in Portugal;
l Documents proving the awarding of academic degrees and diplomas, or the according recognition – in cases of academic degrees or diplomas granted by a foreign higher education institution – can be dismissed in the application process, and replaced by the applicant’s declaration of honour, with the verification of said condition taking place during the grant’s hiring stage. The submission of the certificate is mandatory when signing the contract.
l Academic degrees or diplomas awarded by a foreign higher education institution require an authentication by a Portuguese higher education institution, and the corresponding registration on the DGES platform, in conformity with Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16, and Ordinance no. 33/2019, of January 25. More information available on the website https://www.dges.gov.pt/pt/pagina/reconhecimento?plid=374
4. Documental evidence to support the country of residence, residence permit or other legally equivalent document, in cases where the applicant is a foreigner or non-resident in Portugal – valid until the beginning of the grant.
5. Other supporting documents relevant to the final assessment.
Failure to deliver the required documents within the 90-day period after the date of the notice of the conditional awarding of the grant implies its cancellation.
Application period: From 2020-12-02 to 2020-12-16
Submission of applications: the application will be formalised by submitting the form available in the Work With Us section of INESC TEC website.
7. BINDING LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
The hiring process shall comply with the current legislation regarding the Research Grant Holder Statute, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current wording, as well as by the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and for FCT Grants Regulation in force.
For more information, please check the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and relevant annexes at www.inesctec.pt/bolsas