The Department of Mechanical Engineering of Université Laval invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Energy efficiency and sustainable development. The successful candidate is expected to:
- teach various courses in Mechanical Engineering at both undergraduate and graduate levels
- develop research activities in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on energy efficiency and/or sustainable development and supervise graduate students
- participate in administrative and academic duties and contribute to the departmental life
The targeted fields of application include HVAC&R, industrial systems and processes, transportation, as well as the production, conversion, storage and use of energy.
- hold a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related field)
- hold a Ph.D. degree, or be near completion of this degree at the start date of the appointment, in Mechanical Engineering (or related field)
- demonstrate ability to conduct and develop high-level funded research
- demonstrate strong interest and ability to teach
- demonstrate ability to collaborate and interact effectively with existing research groups and research centres
- have a good knowledge of spoken and written French (or commit to developing this knowledge in the short term)
- be a member of the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec (or commit to becoming one in the short term)
Preference will be given to candidate specialized in heat transfer and thermodynamics. High-level candidates in other related fields of mechanical engineering will also be considered.
Industrial experience as well as the ability to initiate industrial research collaborations will be considered.
- For non‐native French speakers, Université Laval provides various means of learning and developing communication skills in the French language.
- New professors receive support in establishing their research program and obtaining funding.
- Numerous educational resources and professional development activities are available to improve teaching skills.
- Childcare services are available on campus.
Hiring and treatment
This is a tenure-track position. Academic rank will be assessed according to experience and salary will be determined according to the collective agreement.
Candidates should submit a cover letter, a resume, a research proposal (maximum 2 pages), a teaching statement (2 pages), one to three publications representative of their research achievements and the names and contact information of three referees in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of
Yves St-Amant, ing. Ph.D.,
Department of Mechanical Engineering
First French-language university in America, Université Laval is a vibrant community in the heart of Quebec City, a comprehensive university recognized for its leadership and its culture of excellence both in teaching and research. Université Laval is located in beautiful Quebec City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the capital of the province of Quebec.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is part of the Faculty of Science and Engineering. It includes 25 professors and more than 800 undergraduate and graduate students. The Department houses a machine shop at the cutting edge of technology as well as an electronics prototyping workshop that fully support teaching and research. The Department has an internationally recognized expertise in the field of energy and the successful candidate will benefit from existing research infrastructures, funded research activities with industrial and government partners, as well as unique opportunities for multidisciplinary collaborations both within the Department and in others of the University.