POSITION Research Professor
DEPARTMENT The Center for Artificial Intelligence
INSTITUTION Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University
REPORTS TO Director, The Center for Artificial Intelligence
Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University strives to develop human intelligence, disseminate knowledge and find solutions based on research and scientific studies of problems experienced by societies. Based on its vision and mission in serving the local and international communities, and with the expertise, potential and facilities supporting scientific research and studies, and outreach activities, the University is inviting applications for multiple positions of Research Professorship with the Center for Artificial Intelligence.
These positions are newly created to fulfill the missions and objectives of the Center for Artificial Intelligence by achieving excellence in research and innovation in machine intelligence. The Center has the state-of-the-art IT infrastructure and strong institutional support to maximize the outcome of research in artificial intelligence (AI).
Research areas of the Center include deep learning in neural networks, fuzzy logic, optimization, image processing, computer vision, signal processing, time series, pattern recognition, and virtual reality, with diverse applications to medicine, health, life science, energy, smart living, natural science, robotics, law, business, and humanities.
The Research Professor with the Center for Artificial Intelligence is a highly ranked scholar who will:
- Be responsible for leading the research culture at PMU. The focus of the job will involve his/her own research activities in his/her area of expertise in AI in addition to presenting research findings at conferences worldwide.
- Seek external funding to support and expand his/her research activities to enhance the prestige and visibility of PMU and to initiate research projects with local industries, government agencies and the community.
- Be expected to take part in the strategic planning and decision making of PMU’s Center for Artificial Intelligence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead in research in the field of AI and its applications.
- Acquire in-depth expertise in the leadership of scientific research projects and experience of organizing interdisciplinary scholarly events.
- Collaborate with faculty and students on research topics of common interest.
- Teach one course or two as needed.
- Become an ambassador for the Center for Artificial Intelligence, for example through publications, outreach activities, and through presentations at workshops and conferences.
- Be productive in high-quality scholarly publications in reputable journals and conference proceedings.
- Manage some of PMU’s research activities including regular international meetings, visits of senior scholars, and scientific advisory boards.
- Write research proposals and generate external funding and lead groups or teams of research personnel.
- Build and develop the existing PMU faculty team of senior scholars and offer them the opportunity to build international collaborations using his/her own contacts and networks.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Successful candidates must have
- A PhD degree in computer science, engineering, physics, data science, mathematics or a closely related field,
- A proven track record of carrying out cutting-edge research demonstrated by publications in top journals/conferences,
- A proven track record of funding acquisition through grants and/or contracts,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
- Excellent organizational and time management skills,
- Ability for research leadership, including communicating scientific results to the public at large, and
- Experience in mentoring junior researchers to achieve their career goals.
REMUNERATION AND BENEFITS
PMU offers an income tax-free compensation package, commensurate with rank and experience, including 12-month salary, PMU accommodation, annual vacation, and annual round-trip airfare to the home country, medical insurance, and end of contract benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Application to this position require a letter of interest, curriculum vita (include a recent photo; state citizenship; and links to Google Scholar & Scopus and LinkedIn profile), copy of PhD degree, statement of research and teaching interests (no more than 6 pages), and the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of at least three professional references who may be contacted, with permission of the candidate, following initial evaluations by the search committee.
Note: Scanned copy of promotion letter/s from Assistant Professorship to your current academic rank if applying for Associate/Full Professor (if applicable);
Positions advertised on our job website and can be closed at the discretion of the department at any time. This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled.
- Please mention the name of the source/website where you have seen this advertisement
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more inquiries about this position, please contact the following: (please mention the name of the source/website where you have seen this advertisement)
For submission of applications, log-on to our career site:
Ms. Shazia Sammer Syed/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Tedda Jane Castro/ email@example.com
Ms. Rania Sinno/ firstname.lastname@example.org
PMU reserves the right to alter, amend and add responsibilities to this position in line with the institutional needs. Changes and amendments to this job description shall be within the academic framework and the general employment conditions.