Reference: AE2020-0226 (GROW – CTM)
INESC TEC is now accepting grant applications to award 1 Research Grant (BI) within the scope of the GROW funded by National Funds through FCT – Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P., project (reference PTDC/EEI-COM/29466/2017
1. GRANT DESCRIPTION
Type of grant: Research Grant (BI)
General scientific area: ENGINEERING
Scientific subarea: Electrical engineering
Grant duration: 3 months, starting on 2021-01-04with the possibility of being renewed for a maximum term of one year, in cases where the grant has been awarded to students who are enrolled in non-award courses, or up to two years, in the cases of students enrolled in a master’s degree.
Scientific advisor: Rui Lopes Campos
Workplace: INESC TEC, Porto, Portugal
Maintenance stipend: € 805,98, according to the table of monthly maintenance stipend for FCT grants, paid via bank transfer. Grant holders may be awarded potential supplements, according to a quarterly evaluation process (Articles 19, 21 and 22 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and Annex II), up to a maximum limit of 50% of the monthly maintenance stipend.
Costs attributable to INESC TEC may include registration, enrolment or tuition fee stipend, either directly or through reimbursement, during the grant duration.
The grant holder will benefit from health insurance, supported by INESC TEC.
- enlarge the knowledge on the state of the art in wireless networks, in particular within the context of underwater communications scenarios;
- identify and select the methodologies and approaches suitable for the development of the work;
- develop the grant holder research and development capabilities through the application of the methodologies and approaches selected;
- assess the research process and evaluate the obtained results with critical thinking.
3. BRIEF PRESENTATION OF THE WORK PROGRAMME AND TRAINING:
- survey the state of the art in wireless networks for underwater environments, with special focus on new approaches enabling broadband communications;
- collaborate in the writing of technical reports on communications protocols, algorithms, and mechanisms suitable for underwater communications;
- develop a communications module based on the protocols, algorithms, and mechanisms mentioned in the previous item targeting the integration of the module in autonomous vehicles;
- write the final activity report of the studentship grant.
4. REQUIRED PROFILE:
Licentiate degree in Electrical Engineering or similar
The awarding of the fellowship is dependent on the applicants’ enrolment in study cycle or non-award courses of Higher Education Institutions.
- previous experience in research work; – experience with Linux and C/C++ programming.
- knowledge in IEEE 802.11 and TCP/IP stack;
- previous experience in research and development in the wireless networks domain.
5. EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Selection criteria and corresponding valuation: the first phase comprises the Academic Evaluation (AC), based on the criteria referred to in Article 12 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC, while the second phase comprehends the Individual Interview (EI). All factors are evaluated on a scale of 0 to 100, taking into account the applicants’ merit, suitability and conformity with the preference factors.
The weight of the AC factors are as follows: Academic Qualifications (FA, 50%), Scientific Publications (PC, 10%), Experience (EX, 10%) and Motivation Letter (CM, 30%).
Candidates who score less than 50 points in the AC average will be considered excluded on absolute merit. The top five candidates approved on absolute merit will be qualified for the individual interview. The Final Grade (CF) is obtained by the weighted average of AC (80%) and EI (20%).
The Selection Jury is composed of the following members:
President of the Jury: Rui Lopes Campos
Full member: José Ruela
Full member: Manuel Ricardo
Substitute member: Hélder Martins Fontes
Release of results and prior hearing: the results of the selection process, as well as the terms and procedures for prior hearing, will be released to the applicants by email, under the terms referred to in Article 13 of the Regulations for Studentships and Fellowships of INESC TEC.
6. FORMALISATION OF APPLICATIONS:
1. Motivation letter;
2. Curriculum Vitae (must include the list of previous fellowships, their type, beginning and end dates, funding entities and host institutions);
3. Certificate or diploma degree dully recognised in Portugal;
l Documents proving the awarding of academic degrees and diplomas, or the according recognition – in cases of academic degrees or
diplomas granted by a foreign higher education institution – can be dismissed in the application process, and replaced by the applicant’s declaration of honour, with the verification of said condition taking place during the grant’s hiring stage. The submission of the certificate is mandatory when signing the contract.
l Academic degrees or diplomas awarded by a foreign higher education institution require an authentication by a Portuguese higher
education institution, and the corresponding registration on the DGES platform, in conformity with Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August
16, and Ordinance no. 33/2019, of January 25. More information available on the website https://www.dges.gov.pt/pt/pagina/reconhecimento?plid=374
4. Proof of enrollment in a degree awarding study cycle or in a non degree awarding Higher Education program.
l The proof of enrollment may be presented just during the grant hiring stage.
5. Signed declaration stating the infringement of the grant holder’s duties (article 14, no. 4)
6. Documental evidence to support the country of residence, residence permit or other legally equivalent document, in cases where the applicant is a foreigner or non-resident in Portugal – valid until the beginning of the grant.
7. Other supporting documents relevant to the final assessment.
Failure to deliver the required documents within the 90-day period after the date of the notice of the conditional awarding of the grant implies its cancellation.
Application period: From 2020-12-02 to 2020-12-16
Submission of applications: the application will be formalised by submitting the form available in the Work With Us section of INESC TEC website.
7. BINDING LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
The hiring process shall comply with the current legislation regarding the Research Grant Holder Statute, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current wording, as well as by the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and for FCT Grants Regulation in force.
For more information, please check the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and relevant annexes at www.inesctec.pt/bolsas