Aalto University is where science and art meet technology and business. We shape a sustainable future by making research breakthroughs in and across our disciplines, sparking the game changers of tomorrow and creating novel solutions to major global challenges. Our community is made up of 13 000 students, 400 professors and close to 4 500 other faculty and staff working on our dynamic campus in Espoo, Greater Helsinki, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
We are now looking for a
PhD Candidate for electrochemical discharge and energy circularity for end-of-life batteries
Are you a passionate developer of sustainable energy systems?
We are now looking for a PhD candidate to support end-of-life battery energy harvesting at Aalto University’s Energy Conversion and System research group. In this position you will have a chance to make an impact on safer battery handing at end-of-line and ensurance that the critical raw materials can be recovered for new battery applications.
The use of Lithium-ion batteries (LIBs) is increasing steeply with the rise of mobile devices, electric vehicles, and renewable energy storage. As LIBs reach the end of their lifetimes, we will face a massive uptick in battery waste. To separate battery materials more efficiently, we would benefit for electrochemically discharging for a safe handling during recycling. A novel concept to further explore is whether we could recover the leftover energy from waste batteries to drive useful electrochemical reactions.
Your role and goals
Your work in this research project will consist of experimental work to find proper discharge media to harvest waste energy into a useful product/energy carrier for transport. This work is part of an ongoing collaborative initiative within the five most important technical universities in the Nordic countries and thus involve a research exchange period. As part of your doctoral candidate duties, you will also gain experience on teaching and supervision of students.
Your experience and ambitions
We are looking for an passioned research that would have:
Join us in shaping the future!
What we offer
- Master’s degree in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, or a similar field
- Strong background in electrochemistry
- Laboratory work experience
- Experience in materials characterization techniques or design of experimental setups is considered as an advantageUse bullets for easy reading
- Excellent presentation skills
- Fluency in English is required
You will work in international team of Energy Converson and Systems with over 100 experts in the field of energy. We offer possibility to combine the experimental experimetns with modelling activities having excellent facilities and support for both. In addition we offer
- Meaningful and inspiring environment. We are proud of our purpose to shape a sustainable future. We spark the game changers of tomorrow, and renew society with research-based knowledge, creativity and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Culture that inspires and includes everyone. All our work is guided by the values of the university: responsibility, courage, and collaboration.
- Support and coaching from experiences researchers in experimental work and career planning.
- Great possibilities for competence development and learning. We constantly keep learning to find the most impactful ways to empower - and invest in - our people.
- We value work-life balance and well-being in all aspects of life.
We ar located at Aalto’s Otaniemi campus, Espoo - Finland. The Otaniemi campus is a thriving and connected community of 100 nationalities, 13,000 students and 4,500 employees. Life at the transformed campus is vibrant and filled with amazing architecture, calming nature, and a variety of cafes, restaurants, services and good connections along the recently opened metro line.
How to Apply
To apply, please share the following application materials with us:
The deadline of application is 23 May 2023.
- Motivation letter
- Study certificants on Master’s degree
- Study record from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degree
We will go through applications, and we may invite suitable candidates to interview already during the application period. We would aim that the candidate would start latest in August 2023 but earlier starting times are possible.
If you need specific information of the position, please contact supervising professor: Annukka Santasalo-Aarnio (firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> Internal Jobs by using their existing Workday user account.
Want to know more about us and your future colleagues?
You can watch these videos: Aalto University - Towards a better world
, Aalto People , and Shaping a Sustainable Future.
Check out our new virtual campus experience: https://virtualtour.aalto.fi/
More about Aalto University: