The Biomechatronics Lab within the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Dept. at UCLA seeks a Postdoctoral Scholar to join its research team immediately for a new project involving the marinization of multimodal tactile sensor skins and machine learning-based haptic perception. The research is experimentally intensive and requires the ruggedization and testing of elastomeric, microfluidic liquid metal sensors for underwater environments. The successful candidate will work closely with our project collaborators at the University of Washington (http://posner.uw.edu) and RE2 Robotics (http://www.resquared.com).
– Ph.D. degree in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
– Excellent oral and written communication skills
– Proficiency in the testing and implementation of tactile sensor technology
– Proficiency in data acquisition and the debugging of hardware-software systems
– Proficiency with machine learning techniques
– Proficiency with computer languages such as C/C++ and Python, and experience with ROS and higher-level libraries (e.g. TensorFlow, Caffe, SciKit)
– Initiative to identify and solve novel research problems
– Experience with managing teams of students and timely achievement of project milestones on a rigorous schedule
– Expertise in packaging sensors and electronics for harsh underwater environments
– Expertise in underwater robotics
– Expertise in acquiring and processing multimodal sensor data (computer vision, tactile, proprioceptive)
– Expertise in the development and implementation of real-time, sensory feedback-driven controllers on robot hardware for reach, grasp, and manipulation
– Expertise in computer-based human-machine interfaces and shared autonomy systems
The Biomechatronics Lab is dedicated to improving quality of life by enhancing the functionality of artificial hands and their control in human-machine systems. We leverage expertise in human biomechanics, tactile sensing, machine learning-based haptic perception, and sensory feedback-driven control of semi-autonomous robotic systems. For more information, please visit http://BiomechatronicsLab.ucla.edu.
HOW TO APPLY: Only electronic applications will be accepted. Applicants should send an email to email@example.com with the subject line "Postdoc App: Tactile Sensor Skins". The email should contain a SINGLEPDF attachment titled "LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.pdf" that includes the following: cover letter, CV, names and contact information for a minimum of three references, and a minimum of one recent publication demonstrating expertise relevant to the Postdoctoral Scholar position. Competitive candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. Additional information on policies and benefits that pertain to the Postdoctoral Scholar position is available at http://grad.ucla.edu/postdoc/.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.