The Systems Engineering Department at ÉTS (Montreal, Canada) is looking for professors in electrical engineering, software engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering and innovation.
Candidates’ research activities will be added to existing projects in fields of interest related to aerospace, entrepreneurship and innovation, artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, collaborative robotics, data science, digital simulation and digital transformation.
Areas of Expertise Sought
In the field of aircraft modelling and simulation, including studying aircraft stability and control, examining aircraft performance, analyzing and predicting flight trajectories and identifying flight dynamics models (linear and non-linear) based on data from flight tests or from highly qualified research simulators.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
In the extensive field of innovation management, including but not limited to entrepreneurship, innovation processes, innovation ecosystems, funding for innovation, organizational innovation, measuring the impact of innovation, social innovation, open innovation, technology transfer, strategic / tactical / operational decisions, methodologies for creativity, technological watch, prototyping and intellectual property.
The incumbent’s research activities will be added to existing projects at the Laboratory of Imaging, Vision and Artificial Intelligence (LIVIA). The selected candidate must demonstrate exceptional scientific and professional competencies in one or more of the following fields: machine learning, computer vision, pattern recognition, multi-modal information fusion, adaptive and intelligent systems, affective computing, biometrics, medical image processing and video surveillance.
The Internet of Things
Moving forward with the integration of systems in the wide-ranging field of the 4th Industrial Revolution and 5G, with a focus on the fusion of cyberspace with physical space: The Internet of Things, precision manufacturing, artificial intelligence and machine learning, 3D printing, autonomous objects, virtual reality, nano-engineering and bioengineering, security.
The selected candidate in the area of data science must be capable of working with big data and be skilled in data mining and exploration, as well as in the development of predictive systems. Therefore, the incumbent must possess computer skills (relational and non-relational databases, distributed systems) and competencies in descriptive, inferential and predictive statistics. A solid understanding of business processes is also required.
In order to put the concept of digital system twinning into practice with a view to performing virtual testing and optimization, the selected candidate must be an expert in digital simulation (discrete events, equations for dynamic and agent-based systems). Solid expertise in a variety of complementary subjects, including statistical test design, optimization and artificial intelligence, is also an asset.
In order to work in the area of corporate digital transformation, the selected candidate must possess general knowledge in a number of fields, including corporate engineering, industrial processes and procedures, various information systems (ERP, MES, CRM) and innovation and change management, along with an in-depth understanding of the potential of connected objects, artificial intelligence and systems integration (without necessarily being capable of developing these technologies). This position is more strategic than technical in nature.
The candidates sought will:
• teach courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in one or more of the above-mentioned fields;
• mentor graduate students;
• carry out funded or contractual interdisciplinary research projects, jointly with industry and in work places;
• develop a research program;
• publish scientific articles;
• complete grant applications, particularly those directed at NSERC and FQRNT.
• Must hold a Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) in engineering (electrical, mechanical, software, computer science or industrial) or innovation;
• Must be a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ), or take the necessary steps to become one before applying for tenure;
• Must have industry experience or experience conducting research in close collaboration with industry. If the candidate does not have related industry experience, then such experience may be substituted by solid R&D experience, or the candidate must agree to acquire such experience through an industrial practicum;
• Must demonstrate excellent research and teaching skills;
• Must be proficient in written and spoken French in accordance with the ÉTS Language Policy, or demonstrate a willingness to learn French and embark on a francization process supported by ÉTS.
Summer or fall 2020
Submission of Applications
All applications shall be treated confidentially. Interested candidates must submit their application by March 20, 2020 (5 p.m. EST) to candidatures_professeursGSYS@etsmtl.ca
The application shall include all these documents named as noted below:
• a cover letter cov_letter;
• a curriculum vitae CV;
• an URL to a google scholar profile page URL;
• a statement of teaching goals teach_goals;
• pertinent details of three references references;
• a statement of their research plan res_plan;
• the equal employment opportunity form equity_form;
• a sample of research accomplishments (e.g. recent scientific articles) res_accomp.
All documents must be included. Otherwise, the application will not be evaluated. Please note that only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. For any further information, please contact candidatures_professeursGSYS@etsmtl.ca
Salary and Terms
This is a tenure-track position. Salary and benefits will be determined in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Nevertheless, priority shall be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. It is important to mention in your application whether you are able to work in Canada in order for us to plan any necessary immigration process.
Equal Employment Opportunity Program
ÉTS has adopted and follows an equal employment opportunity program, and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal persons, visible and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities. Please complete and attach the Equal Access to Employment form to your application.