Search for University Jobs in Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Lab Manager of the Manufacturing Laboratories in Washburn Shops, including the Robotics Laboratory and the Haas Technical Center. Work closely with the Mechanical, Manufacturing, and Materials Engineering faculty, staff, and students. This is a full time position.
WPI is a diverse campus of learners passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- The primary responsibility for this position is the safe, effective, and efficient operation of the Laboratories.
- Maintenance of the Laboratories using the principles of the 5S's and Lean Engineering in cooperation with the technicians.
- Develop, maintain, and post metrics for Laboratory facilities and equipment use.
- Operation, maintenance, and repair of robots, CMM, CNC and manual machine tools, industrial and prototype machines, including electrical, mechanical, and computer trouble-shooting.
- Fabrication of industrial machine tools and laboratory apparatus.
- Organize and supervise Work Study students. Develop a system using Work Study students and/or Teaching Assistants to provide evening and weekend access to the Laboratory facilities for undergraduate and graduate users.
- Teach laboratory sections of ME 1800 and ME 3820 - Materials Processing over four terms per year. Also maintain laboratory manuals for ME1800. Train teaching assistants on instructing the ME1800, ME3820, and ME4815 laboratory sessions.
- Provide machine shop services and/or train the students for laboratory and project work.
- Act as primary contact with industrial suppliers for the Laboratories.
- Provide training in the safe, effective use of the laboratory facilities to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Work with graduate and undergraduate research teams.
- In cooperation with the faculty provide support to the SME and CNC student clubs.
- Be the primary liaison with Plant Services for all modifications and renovations to the Laboratories.
- Maintain the web sites for the Laboratories, including the Robotics Laboratory and the Haas Technical Center.
- Work with the Director of the Haas Technical Center to maximize the benefit of the center for students, faculty, and the Institute.
- Other duties and responsibilities as determined by the Director of Manufacturing and Materials Engineering and the Department Head of Mechanical Engineering.
- Bachelors degree (Masters degree preferred) or equivalent experience required.
- Aptitude for working with students. Also, interest in teaching will be preferred
- Strong knowledge of CAD/CAM and CNC
- Training and experience in operation, maintenance, and repair of industrial robots and related equipment.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Lab-Manager_R0002430
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |