Position: Lab Instructor, Mechanical Engineering
Department: Mechanical Engineering
School: College of Engineering
Reports to: Department Chair; College Dean
Technological progress and scientific discoveries have made economic activity mostly knowledge-based and have accelerated growth. It is only possible to meet all the challenges thus imposed, through decisions that are mainly based on research and studies that take into consideration the problems but also anticipate future trends and global expectations. Decision makers are in dire need for research and in-depth and futuristic studies that produce enlightened recommendations and help make the most suitable choices, while avoiding risks and overcoming challenges.
Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University strives to develop human intelligence, disseminate knowledge and find solutions based on research and scientific studies of problems experienced by societies. Based on its vision and mission in serving the local and international communities, and with the expertise, potential and facilities supporting scientific research and studies, and outreach activities, the University is inviting applications for the Lab Instructor position in the Mechanical Engineering Department in the College of Engineering.
The Lab Instructor of PMU’s Mechanical Engineering Department will:
- Carry out the duties of the position in accordance with College values and standards and in line with College policies and procedures, upholding high professional standards and leading by example.
- Work with our students as members of a learning community to provide world-class education and an excellent student experience.
- Integrate the College value of inclusiveness into all appropriate aspects of the job, respecting the dignity and diversity of all members of the College community and of visitors to the College.
- Promote the values of collegiality within the College community.
Qualifications & Experience (Required)
Suitable candidates should have earned their MS/MTech/ME degrees from a recognized university in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field with at least three years of experience preferably with laboratory development and teaching at university level or candidates with BS/BTech/BE degree with at least 5 years of experience.
Suitable candidates should primarily maintain and run undergraduate laboratories in the areas of experimental fluid mechanics/heat transfer/energy systems/HAVC, experimental solid mechanics/material testing/vibrations/control systems, CAD/CAM/machine shop, instrumentation and measurements. They will be required to set up experiments and supervise students during lab sessions and handle all aspects of lab preparation as needed.
Suitable candidates are expected to have excellent command of the English Language and should be familiar with technology infused academic environments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Required)
Suitable candidates are expected to have experience in the following:
- Conducting laboratory sessions for mechanical engineering courses at university level
- Designing of Experiments
- Using laboratory software applications such as Matlab, Simulink, LabView, MathCAD, AutoCAD, SolidWorks
- Using LabView with National Instruments equipment
- Interfacing laboratory equipment with computers
- Using mechanical engineering laboratory equipment such as Instron, MTS, function generators, oscilloscopes, strain gauges, accelerometers
- Performing system integration
- Hardware trouble shooting and equipment calibration experience
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach and assist laboratory practical sessions
- Prepare equipment and experimental set ups for lab sessions
- Prepare laboratory manuals and standard laboratory procedures under faculty supervision
- Accomplish grading laboratory reports and assisting in laboratory related activities
- Procure/place purchase orders for electronic/electrical components required for experiments
- Ensure quality control, routine equipment maintenance and safety procedures and inventory management
- Organize and catalogue lab and sample materials
- Other support duties as required.
Remuneration and Benefits
PMU offers an income tax-free compensation package, commensurate with rank and experience, including 12-month salary, PMU accommodation, annual vacation, and annual round-trip airfare to the home country, medical insurance and end of contract benefits.
How to Apply
Application to this position require a letter of interest, curriculum vita (include a recent photo; state citizenship; and links to Google Scholar & Scopus and LinkedIn profile), unofficial copy of Ph.D. Diploma, statement of research and teaching interests and a portfolio (no more than 20 pages long) that includes representative professional work depicting evidence of research, teaching activities; a narrative of administrative and leadership philosophy including a statement of past and proposed efforts to enhance diversity as well as the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of at least three professional references who may be contacted, with permission of the candidate, following initial evaluations by the search committee
Note: In order to apply for a position of Associate / Full Professor, candidates must provide a letter of promotion from an academic institution with a documented due process to the rank of Associate / Full Professor.
Positions advertised on our job website and can be closed at the discretion of the department at any time. This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled.
- Please mention the name of the source/website where you have seen this advertisement
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For submission of applications, log-on to our career site:
Alternatively, send your application by email to email@example.com in the event of an unsuccessful online application. (Please specify Position Applied for: Ex: Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering" in the email subject line and please also mention the name of the source/website where you have seen this advertisement)
PMU reserves the right to alter, amend and add responsibilities to this position in line with the institutional needs. Changes and amendments to this job description shall be within the academic framework and the general employment conditions.