Ph.D. Scholarships in Electrical Engineering
With research focus: Application of Machine Learning and optimization tools to wireless networks
Thriving in today's economy requires the fusion of cutting-edge innovations to produce a ground-breaking product that excels in every performance measure. Artificial intelligence (AI), enabled by machine learning (ML), has revolutionized technology and opened venues in many fields. Under the supervision of Pro. Georges Kaddoum, we are pleased to announce the availability of several fully financed Ph.D. scholarships in Electrical Engineering. These scholarships are part of collaborative projects between Prof. Kaddoum and other leading tech-companies to foster innovative ML-based solutions to tackle the future challenges of wireless networks. These challenges include radio resource management, clustering, networking, heterogeneity of the applications, transmission security, and others.
The Ph.D. program will be hosted by École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS), a trusted name in the Canadian industry with a rapidly growing reputation in research. With its state-of-the-art facilities, the Ph.D. program at ÉTS allows students to advance their intellectual rigor, their scientific curiosity and the creativity they need to resolve complex issues both in the industry and in challenging scientific research.
The award Ph.D. student will be affiliated with the Communication and Microelectronic Integration Laboratory (LaCIME)
. It brings together internationally renowned researchers supported by a team of students, trainees, and professionals who use state-of-the-art tools to conduct innovative and highly applied research. This facility provides a world-class wireless communication R&D environment to develop hardware/software of future-generation physical-layer solutions for high-performance wireless communication networks. The synergy between its members as well as the diversity and complementarity of their expertise, make LaCIME a unique laboratory and a privileged partner of industrialists. Additionally, ÉTS students enjoy the benefits of many research resources and facilities such as CenTech
, ÉTS library
. Due to its strategic location at the heart of Montreal, ÉTS also has strong ties with its neighbor world-class universities such as Concordia, McGill, as well as industry head-quartiers, which enables affiliated trainees to involve in industry-funded projects.
Qualifications and Requirements
All applicants should hold a master's degree with an excellent/very-good GPA in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or a related discipline. Applicants should demonstrate excellent English skills in writing, communication, and presentation. He/she must be strongly motivated for doctoral studies, must demonstrate the ability to work independently and to perform critical analysis.
Candidates are asked to possess fundamental knowledge and skills in two or more of the following areas:
- Excellent academic record, particularly in the analytical and theoretical subjects.
- Strong analytical skills in wireless communication theory, stochastic processes, mathematical foundations of modern machine learning systems and techniques.
- Background in wireless technology (PHY/MAC/Network).
- Strong coding skills using MATLAB, Python, and C++ is a recommended
- Prior experience/education in both theory and practice of machine learning is a plus.
- Hands-on experience using one of the following deep learning libraries: TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe2, Theano, Keras, and/or Chainer
- Publication record/experience on the required expertise is a plus.
- Pass the admission requirements for ÉTS: https://www.etsmtl.ca/en/Studies/Admission
Role and Responsibilities
- Complete the required credit hours stated in the ÉTS guidelines.
- Perform research and participate in research activities to advance science and technology of intelligent wireless networks, hence publishing scientific articles in conferences and journals periodically.
- Work towards the long-term goals of the assigned project while identifying intermediate milestones.
The awarded scholarship will offer you competitive financial compensation for the delightful life standard at the beautiful city of Montréal. Additional to your academic progress, you will be enjoying the professional environment offered by ÉTS along with its state-of-the-art facilities and labs. This scholarship will encourage and support you financially to participate in international scientific conferences. You may also be eligible for excellence awards and other grants from Quebec and Canadian granting agencies during your study.
Furthermore, this scholarship will increase your chance to work in Quebec either in the academic or industrial track at internationally recognized universities and leading companies. The Strategy for Research and Innovation of Quebec aims to make it one of the most innovative and creative societies in the world by 2030. Several financial initiatives have been put in place to support researchers, boost the innovations, and maximize the transfer and benefits of the technological revolution. Moreover, Montreal is a nerve center for several leading-edge high-tech fields in applied engineering, information and communications technologies, and artificial intelligence.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must fill the form in this link https://forms.gle/vHRtAznWT4iPk8bj8
and attach the following documents, in a single PDF file
, with the shown order:
- Detailed CV
- Sc. & B.Sc. transcripts
- List of all publications
- Softcopy of all publications (if available)
- Statement of purpose for the envisioned research in the context of this scholarship.
- Two letters of recommendations (Recommended)
- Contact info of two references (Recommended)
For additional information, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
For more information about Prof. Kaddoum's work and graduate program at ÉTS, please visit https://www.etsmtl.ca/Professeurs/gkaddoum/Accueil?lang=en-CA