Professor/Associate Professor/Lecturer in Building Construction and Integrated Design
The German University in Cairo - GUC (Cairo Campus)
Architecture and Urban Design Program
The German University in Cairo invites applications for vacancies to be filled effective September 2022 or February 2023.
The German University in Cairo is looking for highly capable and motivated applicants wishing to join the Architecture and Urban Design Program. The GUC architecture school was founded in 2010 and can claim to be one of the most successful architecture programs in Egypt and the Mena Region.
The position open is to join the Building Technology and Integrated Design sub-department of the architecture and urban design program at the GUC. Building technology at GUC is characterized by an integrative design approach where building construction and technology is considered an essential part of the architectural design process. Courses taught range from fundamentals in construction and sustainable materialisation of buildings to advanced technology, hybrid systems and renewable energy technologies in architecture. The department fosters a holistic sustainable and exploratory approach to architectural design, based on contemporary building standards and techniques that are relevant to architecture, design and artistic practice in its widest sense.
Successful candidates will be expected to teach both undergraduate and graduate levels, develop ongoing and innovative research activities, and contribute to the further advancement of the architecture and urban design program.
Will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching in:
- Conveying the fundamentals of sustainable building construction and building materials to students at undergraduate level
- Building technology-focused architectural design studios and thematically associated elective courses at graduate level
- Advanced elective courses on innovative design
- Lead design studios at undergraduate and graduate levels
- Supervising bachelor/master/PhD theses in the field of building technology
- Commitment to engage in interdisciplinary studies, research and collaboration with other university faculties, departments and academies of arts
- Candidates should have at least five years of teaching experience and practical experience in building design with focus on innovative construction systems.
- Excellent design skills are required (this should be evident in the submitted portfolio which must have examples of work executed by the applicant in their own name i.e. not as a member of an office or a group work).
- A Doctorate/Ph.D. in Architecture with a focus on building construction and technology would be welcome.
- The language of teaching is English.
The German University in Cairo is an Egyptian Private University established in cooperation with the German State Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart, under the patronage of the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education, the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, State of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany, and supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the German Embassy in Cairo, the Arab/German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK), the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the Universities of Stuttgart, Ulm, Mannheim, and Tübingen.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, samples of design work and publications and the names of at least three referees. Applications to be submitted online through the GUC website: https://www.guc.edu.eg/en/jobs/
by referencing posting: Ref Code: II6.4.2
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For best consideration, submit applications before 15th of June, 2022.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org