Polytechnique Montréal promotes excellence, creativity, integrity, collaboration, respect, openness and diversity. Recognized as one of Montreal’s best employers, it offers excellent working conditions, notably by fostering its employees’ work-life balance and well-being.
Polytechnique Montréal is firmly committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, which fosters its development and constitutes an undeniable catalyst for excellence in its teaching, research and outreach activities. Accordingly, Polytechnique particularly encourages women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal people and persons with disabilities to apply. Accommodation can be provided to persons with disabilities, based on their characteristics.
Applying to Polytechnique means taking a leap toward a rewarding career and opening up to a world of opportunities.
Located on Mount Royal, an exceptional setting in the heart of Montreal, Polytechnique is a world-renowned engineering university that operates in a STARS certified environment. It excels in multidisciplinary and multisectoral research and in high-quality training at all academic levels. Founded in 1873, Polytechnique Montréal now numbers more than eight thousand five hundred students and relies on the expertise of more than a thousand persons with a wide variety of qualifications. In advocating sustainable development, Polytechnique stands out by its leading-edge innovations and its active role in technological, economic and social development. Polytechnique positions itself locally, nationally and internationally by favouring synergy among research ecosystems.
The Department of Chemical Engineering currently has 24 professors and conducts cutting-edge research in close collaboration with industry in the following areas: reactor and process engineering, life cycle analysis, biorefining, tissue engineering, materials and biomaterials, regenerative medicine, biotechnology, polymers. For more information, please consult the web site: https://www.polymtl.ca/gch/en
This position falls within the area of the Institut de valorisation des données (IVADO) in artificial intelligence sponsored by a significant grant of 93.6 M$ over 7 years from the Canada First Research Excellence Fund as well as by industrial and institutional partners. The selected candidate will benefit from significant starting funds, annual operating funds and specific scholarships. For more information, please consult the web site www.ivado.ca.
As Montreal is recognized as an international hub in the field of artificial intelligence research, this position is for a professor researcher in the Chemical Engineering Department, who will work in partnership with IVADO on important projects in the area of processes related to the exploitation of natural resources in a context of sustainable development.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the basic duties of this position with a dynamic and creative approach. In particular, he/she will:
- demonstrate a commitment to teaching excellence at all undergraduate and graduate levels;
- supervise undergraduate and graduate students;
- carry out innovative research projects;
- obtain grants and contracts aimed at training highly qualified personnel through research work;
- publish the scientific results of his or her research;
- collaborate with the teaching and research activities of the Department;
- collaborate with other research teams within Polytechnique Montréal or other institutions;
- contribute to the outreach of Polytechnique Montréal in Québec and internationally.
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Due to the position’s affiliations, the professor’s research program must be in line with the research activities of the Chemical Engineering Department and the IVADO Institute.
The selected professor will benefit from an exceptional environment offered by the IVADO ecosystem, a bridge between academic expertise and industries, from the multinational to the startup. IVADO brings together more than 1,000 affiliated scientists and is a centre for advanced multidisciplinary skills in areas such as statistics, business intelligence, deep learning, applied mathematics, cyber security and many other sectors. IVADO supports the development of processes to extract concrete information from the jumble of big data.
- The candidate will help expand the Chemical Engineering Department’s existing research strengths, primarily in the area of big data usage related to natural resource development processes.
- The candidate will develop deep learning techniques for the development of new generation predictive mathematical and computational models that incorporate variety, volume, validity and speed of data acquisition for the entire value chain.
- These models will be used for decision-making in order to improve processes performances, i.e. chemical and biological processes, and for life cycle analysis.
As soon as possible.
Candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree relevant to chemical engineering and hold a Ph.D. in chemical engineering or a related field. They must demonstrate excellent research and teaching skills.
The successful candidate will be an engineer member in good standing of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ), or take the necessary measures to become a member before applying for a regular status. Candidates must demonstrate excellent research and teaching skills. Relevant industry experience is an asset. Given that the teaching language is French, the successful candidate will have a sufficient command of spoken and written French before applying for a regular status. Polytechnique Montréal will provide any necessary assistance and support for the successful candidate to become an engineer member of the IOQ and to learn French.
Polytechnique Montréal recognizes that career interruptions due to maternity or parental leave, extended sick leave or clinical training, as well as handicaps, may have an effect on research productivity and achievements. The impact of these leaves will be taken into account in the recruitment process.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This faculty position is tenure-track. Salary and benefits will be set in accordance with the collective agreement in effect (pdf). The latter includes arrangements for work-life balance and offers maternity, paternity and adoption leave in addition to the Québec Parental Insurance Plan (http://www.rqap.gouv.qc.ca/).
Candidates are invited to submit an application that includes:
- their résumé;
- a description of their area of expertise;
- a statement of their teaching goals and research priorities;
- a description of their proposed (future) research objectives and program;
- official records of their diplomas;
- the full contact information of three persons able to provide references;
- a few examples of work relevant to the position;
- three recent scientific contributions;
- teaching evaluations if applicable.
Applications must be received no later than July 7, 2019, at 5 PM, and submitted to:
Professor Louis Fradette
Chair, Chemical Engineering Department
Case postale 6079, succursale Centre-ville
CANADA H3C 3A7
The examination of applications will begin as soon as possible and will continue until the position is filled.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, particularly designated group members, specifically women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal people and persons with disabilities. However, in accordance with immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.