Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
The College of Engineering at Florida International University is seeking candidates for the position of Postdoctoral Associates in the Applied Research Center.
Current areas of interest include Robotics, Virtualization, and Embedded Systems.
FIU’s Post-Doctoral Associate Program is designed to recruit outstanding Ph.D. applicants to assist the organization in meeting its objectives. The applicant’s Ph.D. must have been conferred within one to three years prior to employment. This assignment is grant funded, and the appointment may be renewed at management’s discretion based on excellent work performance and funding availability.
Applications are invited to apply for a postdoctoral associate position, to work on a sponsored research project. The position is fully funded for 1 year initially, with potential extension of 2 or more years depending on funding availability.
- Work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Train, supervise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students
- Participate in the development of proposals for additional funding in relevant research areas
- Assist in the development of publications, technical reports, monthly, quarterly and year end reports
- Perform other related duties as required or directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position
Screening of applications will occur as positions become available and continue until positions are filled.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 525031 at https://facultycareers.fiu.edu/ and attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and summary of research specialization. Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least 3 references who will be contacted as determined by the hiring official. This pool will remain open until December 31st, 2021.
- Ph.D. Degree in Robotics, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry, or closely related disciplines
- A strong working knowledge of C/C++, embedded real-time operating systems (RTOS), and Python
- Experience working with ARM cores (like Cortex-M) and modular bus architecture systems
- Experience working with hardware virtualization for ARM and hypervisors including QEMU
- Hands-on experience developing embedded device drivers for SPI, I2C, USB, ADC, etc. interfaces
- Development experience with Embedded Linux and leveraging / developing on top of open source software frameworks is highly desirable.
- Experience debugging C source code using hardware debuggers over JTAG and SWD
- Experience assessing, exploiting, and mitigating system security threats/risks within an embedded system is highly desirable
- Proven track record and experience building and delivering complex embedded software systems
- System Programming in C/C++ and Go programming language
- Hands on programming experience
- Working with Linux & Windows Kernel development
- Network / Memory Forensics
- Knowledge of XEN, KVM/QEMU and VMware Hypervisors
- Communication programming, Virtual Machine Introspection desirable
- Experience on human-robot interaction; exposure to robotic AI is a plus
- Experience on robot/motor actuation and control; exposure to powered exoskeleton and/or prosthesis is a plus
- Experience on real-time signal processing; exposure to human signal processing is a plus
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.