With a student population totalling 11,000, including 2,600 graduate and post-graduate students, École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS) in Montréal is among the largest engineering schools in Canada, offering Bachelor, Master and Doctoral programs that focus on applied engineering. ÉTS maintains strong ties with industry thanks to a dynamic cooperative education system, boasts an exceptional level of partnership-based research and innovation and features world-class research equipment and facilities.
ÉTS values diversity among those who join its team, has adopted an equal access to employment program and invites members of under-represented groups (i.e.: women, indigenous people, members of visible and ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities) to identify as such when submitting an application. Individuals of all sexual orientations and gender identities are also invited to apply.
ÉTS adheres to Engineers Canada’s 30 by 30 initiative, aimed at attaining the objective of 30% female engineers by 2030, and was honoured with the Prix Thérèse Casgrain (Thérèse Casgrain Award) in 2019 for its efforts related to the inclusion of women in engineering. It has also received Parity Certification from the Women in Governance organization in recognition of its commitment to closing the gender parity gap in the workplace.
The Systems Engineering Department at ÉTS is seeking an Industrial Engineering Professor who specializes in the Circular Economy, Reverse Logistics and Intelligent and Sustainable Transportation. The ideal candidate possesses a basic knowledge of the field of Operations and Logistics Engineering.
The incumbent’s areas of expertise should focus on one or more of the following fields of research: The circular economy, reverse logistics, sustainable logistics chains, intelligent and sustainable transportation systems, manufacturing and re-manufacturing systems and sustainable development.
The selected candidate must demonstrate advanced skills and competencies in developing quantitative methods, such as mathematical programming, heuristics/metaheuristics and simulation techniques.
Depending on their areas of expertise and research interests, the incumbent may join the team at the Numérix Laboratory or the Laboratoire des conceptions et contrôle des systèmes de production (L2CSP – Design and control of production systems laboratory) and take part in their research activities.
Description of the position
Working as part of a dynamic research team, the incumbent will assume the following responsibilities:
- Teach at all three university levels in fields related to Operations and Logistics Engineering;
- Supervise graduate and post-graduate students;
- Submit applications for financing and grants, primarily from Québec, Canadian or international government bodies, industrial organizations, municipalities and foundations;
- Conduct subsidized or contract-based research projects in partnership with industry and workplaces;
- Develop research programs;
- Publish scientific articles.
- Hold a Doctorate (PhD) in Engineering in a related field;
- Be a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) or be eligible to join the OIQ and undertake the necessary steps to become a member before submitting an application for full professorship;
- Have experience in conducting research in collaboration with industry or solid experience in industrial R&D;
- Demonstrate excellent skills related to training highly-qualified personnel through research projects and teaching;
- Be proficient in French (oral and written), in compliance with the ÉTS Language Policy (in French), or demonstrate a willingness to learn French and enter into a francization process with the support of ÉTS.
Summer 2023, or as soon as possible.
Submitting an application
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality.
ÉTS will take into account any leaves that may result in career interruptions or delays. Therefore, we encourage you to mention any such leave that may have affected your professional path. We will take this information into consideration when evaluating your application.
In case of a disability, we may offer accommodation measures during the hiring process.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application before 5:00 p.m. (EST) on February 12, 2023.
Each application must include the information indicated below in a single PDF document, in the following order:
- An automated (dynamic) Table of Contents;
- A cover letter;
- Your curriculum vitae;
- A statement of your teaching objectives;
- Your research plan, including an indication of how your work complements the areas of research targeted by a department or research group at ÉTS;
- A sample of your research achievements (e.g.: recent scientific articles).
If you require more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates who are retained for an interview will be contacted.
This is a tenure-track position. The process and benefits will be determined in accordance with the applicable collective agreement.
Located in the heart of Metropolitan Montréal and close to central neighbourhoods and public transit, ÉTS offers a number of benefits in addition to competitive compensation and a generous pension fund:
- Group insurance
- Priority access to the ÉTS Sports Centre, located on campus
- Public transit incentive program
- Vehicle and bicycle parking at competitive rates
- On-site child care centre and day camp
- Many other benefits
In view of the many sustainable development initiatives launched in recent years, ÉTS was awarded STARS Gold certification in 2022.
In compliance with the immigration requirements in effect in Canada, ÉTS invites all qualified individuals to apply. However, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. When submitting an application, it is important to indicate whether you are able to work in Canada, so that the applicable immigration procedures can be planned accordingly.