Valparaiso University invites inquiries, nominations, and applications for Dean of the College of Engineering. Valpo seeks a dean who is an experienced and enthusiastic champion of undergraduate engineering education, research, and innovation.
Valparaiso University is the only Lutheran institution with four-year, ABET-accredited degree programs in civil, electrical, computer, and mechanical engineering. Most recently, the College of Engineering launched additional majors in bioengineering, environmental engineering, and an integrated business and engineering major in partnership with the College of Business. The College of Engineering is currently ranked 16th by U.S. News and World Report for undergraduate engineering programs.
The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College of Engineering and reports directly to the Provost. The Dean will be responsible for all aspects of the College’s academic programs, operations, financial and faculty resources, strategic partnerships, student recruitment, and fundraising efforts.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- An earned doctorate in an engineering discipline with either the rank of full professor or the current status of associate professor and the academic credentials necessary to qualify for a tenured appointment with the rank of full professor at Valparaiso University
- A deep understanding of higher education
- Budget and supervisory experience
- Experience with ABET accreditation
- A strong commitment to undergraduate engineering education
- The ability to create new and strengthen existing alumni, community, and industrial relations
- Demonstrated success at attracting and retaining faculty and students who represent underrepresented populations in engineering
- The capability of developing new funding sources, new programs, and increased enrollment
- Understanding of how to use cultural consciousness to start and enhance partnerships within the United States
- Cultural knowledge necessary to start and enhance international programs
Review of applications will begin October 29, 2021, and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for five references to Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/95615
Candidates should include in their cover letters an understanding of higher education, a demonstrated interest in Valparaiso University, and evidence of how their experience and skills can help move the College of Engineering forward. Employment at Valparaiso University will require a satisfactory criminal background check.
For further information, please review the prospectus at https://www.valpo.edu/provost/files/2021/10/COE-Dean-Prospectus_FINAL.pdf. Inquiries should be sent to: Provost.Office@valpo.edu
All inquiries, nominations, and applications will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted without the applicant’s expressed permission.
Valparaiso University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action employer. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Valparaiso is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn, and thrive.