The Chun’s group at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa (UHM) has an opportunity immediately available for a Postdoctoral Fellow. The group is seeking highly motivated candidates committed to developing an academic career in autonomous driving using machine learning (ML) & artificial intelligence (AI). Annual salary is in the range of $48,000 to $52,000 depending on prior research experience and qualifications.
The Chun’s group has expertise in fundamental ML & AI, optimization, and compressed sensing, applied to diverse image processing and computer vision problems. While developing ML & AI fundamentals, the group is developing state-of-the-art techniques in the following applications: medical imaging (e.g., X-ray CT, MRI, PET, SPECT), computational photography (e.g., light-field photography (simply put, 4D photography), depth estimation, 3D object tracking), and biomedical image computing (e.g., brain abnormality detection via neuroimaging, and microscopic image segmentation).
The main goals of the project are: 1) to develop state-of-the-art autonomous driving frameworks using ML & AI; and 2) to implement developed methods to a UHM campus shuttle system. This is a collaborative project with a civil & environmental engineering professor David Ma who is a Principal Investigator of a $6M city science project supported by the Hawai’i Department of Transportation, involving Prof. Chun’s and Prof. Ma’s colleagues specialized in data science, computer vision, or transportation.
1) Successful candidates will have a recent Ph.D. in electrical engineering, computer science, civil engineering, or some related fields.
2) Candidates with prior research experience in computer vision, ML & AI, control, and transportation engineering are especially encouraged to apply.
3) The candidate must be enthusiastic, have strong written and oral communication skills, be highly motivated, intellectually creative, able to work independently, and function well as part of a team.
4) It is expected that successful candidates will have a strong track record of research productivity, presentations, and publications.
To be considered for this position, please send the following materials in an application packet, preferably as a single PDF file, by email to Dr. Il Yong Chun (firstname.lastname@example.org):
1) Curriculum vitae
2) Research statement (2-page limit)
3) Contact information for two references
The application deadline is May 15, 2020 (Hawai’i Standard Time).