INESC TEC is now accepting grant applications to award 1 Research Grant (BI) within the scope of the CAGING
funded by National Funds through FCT - Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P., project
1. GRANT DESCRIPTION
Type of grant: Research Grant (BI)
General scientific area: ENGINEERING
Scientific subarea: Electrical engineering
Grant duration: 5 months, starting on 2023-03-13, with the possibility of being renewed until the end of the project.
Scientific advisor: Luís Filipe Teixeira
Workplace: INESC TEC, Porto, Portugal
Maintenance stipend: € 1144,64, according to the table of monthly maintenance stipend for FCT grants
(http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores), paid via bank transfer. Grant holders may be awarded potential
supplements, according to a quarterly evaluation process (Articles 19, 21 and 22 of the Regulations for Grants of
INESC TEC and Annex II), up to a maximum limit of 50% of the monthly maintenance stipend.
INESC TEC supports costs with registration, enrolment or tuition fees, during the grant duration, under the terms
established in the internal document: "Payment of Tuition fees to grant holders".
The grant holder will benefit from health insurance, supported by INESC TEC.
Several interpretability methods were proposed for deep learning methods, consisting of saliency maps, natural
language descriptions, and rule-based and case-based explanations. From these, case-based explanations
arise as one of the most intuitive for human beings, as learning by example is our natural way of reasoning.
Nonetheless, case-based explanations are sometimes prohibited due to privacy issues. In applications where
there is a person exposed in the image, particularly, when those images are acquired for sensitive purposes, as
is the case of medical images, the use of case-based explanations is completely inhibited. Therefore, in order to
use the intuitive case-based explanations to justify and understand the deep learning model's behavior, one
should be able to wash away the identity before presenting those cases to the consumer of the explanations. In
this project, we intend to promote a causal design for the generation of privacy-preserving case-based
explanations, starting from the explicit disentanglement between medical and identity features and moving
towards a causal model in which the interventions are produced in terms of high-level semantic features.
3. BRIEF PRESENTATION OF THE WORK PROGRAMME AND TRAINING:
- extend the knowledge of the state of the art in the generation privacy-preserving case-based explanations;
- identify and select the appropriate methods for the study in question;
- develop novel solutions for the generation privacy-preserving case-based explanations;
- write publications within the scope of the work developed;
- write the final activity report of the grant.
4. REQUIRED PROFILE:
MSc in Electrical Engineering, or similar
The awarding of the fellowship is dependent on the applicants' enrolment in study cycle or non-award courses of
Higher Education Institutions.
Experience in research projects, and writing of scientific papers.
Knowledge about Machine Learning or Computer Vision.
5. EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Selection criteria and corresponding valuation: the first phase comprises the Academic Evaluation (AC), based
on the criteria referred to in Article 12 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC, while the second phase
comprehends the Individual Interview (EI). All factors are evaluated on a scale of 0 to 100, taking into account the
applicants' merit, suitability and conformity with the preference factors.
The weight of the AC factors are as follows: Academic Qualifications (FA, 50%), Scientific Publications (PC, 10%),
Experience (EX, 20%) and Motivation Letter (CM, 20%).
Candidates who score less than 50 points in the AC average will be considered excluded on absolute merit. The top
five candidates approved on absolute merit will be qualified for the individual interview. The Final Grade (CF) is
obtained by the weighted average of AC (80%) and EI (20%).
The Selection Jury is composed of the following members:
President of the Jury: Luís Filipe Teixeira
Full member: Jaime Cardoso
Full member: Hélder Filipe Oliveira
Substitute member: Ana Filipa Sequeira
Release of results and prior hearing: the results of the selection process, as well as the terms and procedures for
prior hearing, will be released to the applicants by email, under the terms referred to in Article 13 of the Regulations
for Studentships and Fellowships of INESC TEC.
6. FORMALISATION OF APPLICATIONS:
1. Motivation letter;
2. Curriculum Vitae (must include the list of previous fellowships, their type, beginning and end dates, funding
entities and host institutions);
3. Certificate or diploma degree dully recognised in Portugal;
● Documents proving the awarding of academic degrees and diplomas, or the according recognition - in cases of academic degrees or
diplomas granted by a foreign higher education institution - can be dismissed in the application process, and replaced by the
applicant's declaration of honour, with the verification of said condition taking place during the grant's hiring stage. The submission of
the certificate is mandatory when signing the contract.
● Academic degrees or diplomas awarded by a foreign higher education institution require an authentication by a Portuguese higher
education institution, and the corresponding registration on the DGES platform, in conformity with Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August
16, and Ordinance no. 33/2019, of January 25. More information available on the website
4. Proof of enrollment in a degree awarding study cycle or in a non degree awarding Higher Education program.
● The proof of enrollment may be presented just during the grant hiring stage.
5. Signed declaration stating the infringement of the grant holder's duties (article 14, no. 4)
6. Documental evidence to support the country of residence, residence permit or other legally equivalent
document, in cases where the applicant is a foreigner or non-resident in Portugal - valid until the beginning of
7. Other supporting documents relevant to the final assessment.
Failure to deliver the required documents within the 90-day period after the date of the notice of the conditional
awarding of the grant implies its cancellation.
Application period: From 2023-01-25 to 2023-02-17
Submission of applications: the application will be formalised by submitting the form available in the Work With
Us section of INESC TEC website.
7. BINDING LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
The hiring process shall comply with the current legislation regarding the Research Grant Holder Statute, approved
by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current wording, as well as by the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC
and for FCT Grants Regulation in force.
For more information, please check the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and relevant annexes at