Applications are invited for a couple of PhD studentships at the Department of Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering (MAE), Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) in Shenzhen, China. The successful candidates will join the Advanced Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics Laboratory (A3 Lab), and will be working mainly with Dr Yu Liu (Associate Professor).
PhD research projects are available in the areas of (but not limited to):
- Hybrid passive/active flow and noise control of bluff bodies
- Noise reduction of aircraft slats, trailing edges, and wind turbine blades
- Aerodynamic characteristics and noise mechanisms of stalled aerofoils
- Low-noise propeller design for UAVs and fans
- Insulation of sandwich structures for turbulent boundary layer induced cabin noise
- Flow and acoustic testing techniques, e.g. aeroacoustic wind tunnel, phased microphone array
Established in 2012, SUSTech is a public research university funded by the Shenzhen Municipality. It is positioned to be a top-tier international university that excels in interdisciplinary research, the nurturing of innovative talents and the transfer of new knowledge to practice. Located in Shenzhen, one of the fastest growing cities in China and the country’s window to the world, SUSTech enjoys strong connections with leading companies in China and renowned universities across the globe.
SUSTech is comprised of the College of Science, College of Engineering, College of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Business, School of Life and Health Sciences, and the School of Medicine.
In the Times Higher Education World University Rankings released in September 2020, SUSTech ranked 9th among mainland Chinese universities.
More information about SUSTech, the MAE Department, and Dr Yu Liu can be found at:
About the PhD Programs
- SUSTech admits PhD students in the research areas of all academic departments and offers PhD degrees in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Mechanics, and Intelligent Manufacturing & Robotics.
- All PhD programs are offered in English.
- Students with a Master’s degree are expected to complete their PhD program within 4 years.
SUSTech PhD Scholarships
SUSTech offers PhD Scholarships to full-time PhD students with excellent research potential. This prestigious Fellowship provides a basic annual stipend of RMB 80,000 plus a performance-based award of RMB 20,000 per year for a maximum period of 4 years. The performance-based award will be evaluated by SUSTech departments and approved by the Graduate School.
Applicants should be of outstanding quality and exceptionally motivated, and should have
- A Master’s degree from a leading university within a country/region, and have demonstrated outstanding potential for research excellence.
- Communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership abilities are also important criteria for the selection of Fellowship recipients.
- English language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above; or IELTS 6.0 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 5.5.
Tuition and Accommodation Fees
- Tuition fee: RMB 40,000 per year. Registration fee: RMB500.
- Accommodation fee: RMB 1,500 per month for a single room in the graduate student dormitories.
- Extra financial support is available for all international students after enrollment to cover up to 3/4 of the tuition fee and accommodation fees for 11 months. The application should be made to the Graduate School after enrollment.
- The fees listed above are for reference and are subjected to adjustment.
How to apply
1. Application deadline:
January 15, 2020. Please email the application documents in PDF to departmental contacts below. Subject of email: Application for SUSTech PhD Admission 2020 – International Student – Name
The MAE Department Contact: Ms Yang, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Application Documents (PDF version):
(1) Application form (Please download the "Application form-SUSTech PhD" from http://gs.sustech.edu.cn/zhaoshengQ&A
(2) Personal statement, in Chinese or English, which should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal.
(3) Research proposal, in English, > 1500 words.
(4) Degree certificates and academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall also provide an official pre-graduation certificate/letter showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date. For all documents in languages other than Chinese or English, notarized copies of translations in Chinese or English need to be provided.
(5) Photocopies of language proficiency certificates.
(6) Two letters of recommendation with appropriate contact details, in Chinese or English.
(7) A photocopy of passport.
(8) Other documents that prove academic abilities.
Departments may require hard copies of the above documents. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of application.
Evaluation and Admission
Applications will be considered on the basis of the documents provided by the applicants. An interview and/or additional tests may be needed.
Offer letters will be issued to the successful applicants by the SUSTech Graduate Admission Office following the release of the application outcomes around March 2020. Applicants who are not admitted will not be informed.
Visa Application and Registration
Admitted students should bring their personal and ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), as well as other documents as required to the Embassy or Consulate of the People’s Republic of China for a student visa (X1 visa). Students shall come to SUSTech for registration during the dates indicated by the Admission package with the required documents. Normally, the registration period is in late August. Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and an X1 visa, and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China.
All students should present the necessary original or notarial degree certificates upon registration at SUSTech for enrollment qualification review. Students who fail the enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
Please send a cover letter explaining your qualifications and research plan for the PhD programme, a CV with a list of publications, and the contact details of two referees via email.
Contact: Dr Yu Liu Email: email@example.com
General enquiries can be made to:
Bao Zhu (Miss)
SUSTech Graduate School
Graduate School webpage: http://gs.sustech.edu.cn/en