A Level B academic is expected to make contributions to the teaching effort of the university and to carry out activities to maintain and develop her/his scholarly, research and/or professional activities relevant to the profession or discipline.
The key result areas of Research, Teaching and Service are the basis for the primary duties and responsibilities of the role. A workload will be agreed annually with the Head of Discipline and Head of School in the Performance Development Plan process. Other duties may be required from time to time as directed by the Head of Discipline and Head of School.
Specific duties required of a Level B academic may include:
1. The conduct of tutorials, practical classes, demonstrations, workshops, student field excursions, clinical sessions and/or studio sessions
2. Initiation and development of subject material
3. Acting as subject coordinators; the preparation and delivery of lectures and seminars
4. Supervision of the program of study of honours students or of postgraduate students engaged in course work
5. Supervision of major honours or postgraduate research projects
6. The conduct of research
7. Involvement in professional activity
8. Development of course material with appropriate advice from and support of more senior staff
9. Marking and assessment
10. Consultation with students
11. A range of administrative functions the majority of which are connected with the subjects in which the academic teaches
12. Attendance at departmental, school and/or faculty meetings and/or membership of a number of committees
Key Selection Criteria
1. The appointee will have:
- PhD or equivalent in the area specialising in Civil Engineering (Construction Management). Applicants expert in AR/VR technologies or Building Information Management (BIM) are preferred.
- Must be eligible to register as Graduate Engineer with Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM). For non-Malaysians with Bachelor of Engineering qualifications from non-Malaysian universities, professional qualifications recognised by BEM can be considered as equivalent to being registered as Graduate Engineer.
- An established research agenda and established track record in research publications in the relevant discipline.
Knowledge and Skills
2. Possess a high level of interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team across both the education and service sectors
3. Demonstrated publication record in high-quality refereed journals, conferences equivalent textbooks or teaching resources
4. Demonstrated ability in undertaking outstanding research and leading a research team and project
5. Proven record of obtaining significant external grants for research
6. Demonstrated record of successfully supervising postgraduate research students
7. Ability to work positively and cooperatively with students, internal and external teams and external organisations
8. Demonstrated strong record of teaching experience in a tertiary environment including course coordination
9. Demonstrated ability to motivate, actively engage and educate a given audience
10. Proven ability, commitment and passion for engaging in scholarly and research activities
11. A demonstrated capacity to work in a collegiate manner with other staff in the workplace
12. Demonstrated evidence of good oral and written communication skills.
13. Demonstrated evidence of the use of technology and innovation to enhance teaching and research
Monash University is Australia’s largest university, and member of the prestigious Group of Eight research intensive universities. Monash consistently rates in the top 100 universities in the world.
Monash University Malaysia is Monash’s third largest campus, with over 8000 students and 900 staff. We are a comprehensive campus offering degrees in business, engineering, medicine, science, information technology, pharmacy, social science and humanities. We are rated among the very best among universities in Malaysia, and the quality of our research output positions us among the very best universities in Southeast Asia.
Monash University Malaysia provides Monash University with a platform for scholarly engagement with the dynamic Southeast Asia region. We are located in greater Kuala Lumpur, in the Klang Valley, one of the region’s industrial hotspots. We sit in the heart of the rapidly developing economic corridor linking Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok and beyond. Our education and research is oriented towards deep engagement with this dynamic social and industrial landscape.
In 2018 we celebrated our twentieth anniversary in Malaysia. During this time we have produced more than 16,000 graduates from more than 70 different countries. We provide a diverse and inclusive scholarly environment.
In 2017 Monash Malaysia was awarded a Six Star SETARA rating by the Malaysian Ministry of Education. This places us in the very top "outstanding" cohort of Malaysian Universities.
Monash University Malaysia is jointly owned by Monash University and the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation
For further information see: www.monash.edu.my
The School of Engineering continues to grow rapidly, particularly in the delivery of undergraduate programs, and through the expansion of its facilities and infrastructure. In addressing global engineering challenges of the 21st century, the expansion of research activities in our Malaysian campus is of high priority for the University, reflected by the significant increase of school collaborative partnership with the industry sector, and through the offering of the Higher Degrees by Research, the Master of Engineering Science (Research) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). The School currently has close to 1,500 undergraduate students, consisting of approximately 70 academic staff, and 42 professional and technical support staff.
The School offers the 4-year Bachelor degree in 6 disciplines: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering and Software Engineering. These are the 6 core disciplines of Engineering, driven by the strong and growing demand for capable graduates in Malaysia, the Asian region and beyond.
In line with the School Development Plan and to meet the thriving market demand, the school has recently started to offer the Master of Advanced Engineering (Energy and Sustainability), a 1-year Master by coursework program.