Postdoctoral Fellow in Numerical Combustion Modeling
University of Connecticut
Department of Mechanical Engineering / Center for Clean Energy Engineering
There is an immediate opening for a postdoctoral fellow position in the Department of Mechanical Engineering / Center of Clean Energy Engineering (C2E2) at the University of Connecticut.
The selected candidate will join efforts with the group of Prof. Alexei Poludnenko in pursuing leading edge research in numerical modeling of high-speed, gas-phase and multi-phase reacting flows. Research will involve all aspects of modern scientific high-performance computing including development and implementation of novel numerical methods, design and execution of large-scale, massively parallel simulations, and theoretical analysis of the obtained datasets. The selected candidate will join, and will be encouraged to collaborate with, a vibrant and growing community of researchers at the University of Connecticut in the fields of theoretical and experimental combustion, propulsion, and aerodynamics.
- PhD in aerospace or mechanical engineering, or a related area.
- Experience in theoretical and numerical combustion modeling in the context of either direct numerical simulations (DNS) or large-eddy simulations (LES).
- Experience with numerical methods for computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
- Experience with high-performance computing and parallel algorithms for CFD.
- Evidence of strong research achievements in relevant technical areas as demonstrated in the form of technical publications, presentations, and/or software tools.
- Understanding of detonations and supersonic/high-speed reacting flows.
- Experience with finite-volume methods for compressible flows on massively parallel architectures.
- Understanding of novel accelerator hardware, such as GPUs, in the context of CFD.
- Experience with computational methods for embedded boundaries, liquid spray modeling, and complex reaction kinetics.
- Strong proficiency with C/C++ and/or Fortran.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
Application package must include:
- Cover letter with the statement of previous research experience and future research interests.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Names and contact information of three references.
Position is initially for two years, potentially renewable for at least one additional year depending on the performance and the availability of funding. Base salary is $55,000 with the possibility of an increase depending on the candidate's years of experience and qualifications. Position is full-time and is eligible for benefits. The review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
Application materials, as well as any relevant inquiries, must be directed to Prof. Alexei Poludnenko at email@example.com .