Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our main campus is located in Espoo, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
Aalto University School of Engineering is now looking for one
Doctoral researcher (PhD Student) in Material Science & Engineering for Hydrogen Applications
Are you passionate about the nature of materials and the upcoming future of hydrogen economy?
We are now looking for one doctoral researcher to work on these exciting topics in the research group of Prof Junhe Lian at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Aalto University. In this position, you will have a chance to conduct challenging and rewarding research in multiscale characterization and testing to solve multiphysics-based problems of metallic materials in the applications of automotive, structural, and hydrogen storage and transportation.
Our studies in the research group feature a unique and highly interdisciplinary character. The overall ambition is to develop digital solutions in material and mechanical disciplines by combining advanced experimental techniques, mechanics and mechanism-based high-performance simulation, and data science-assisted computation. This particular research topic is driven by academically challenging questions in the field of materials engineering, which involves the deformation, fracture, and hydrogen embrittlement behavior of engineering materials. The research funding comes from major EU and national projects spanning from ERC, RFCS, Research and Innovation, to Future Makers Finland.
Your role and goals
You will be responsible for advancing the fundamental understanding of microstructure-property relations of high-strength alloys in the field of deformation, fracture, and in particular hydrogen-metal interaction. The research involves diverse advanced multiscale microstructure characterization methods for materials under various loading conditions and development of new testing methods and alloys for hydrogen-related applications. You will also develop and manage cutting-edge in situ tests in lab-scale microscopes and high-energy synchrotron-based facilities to advance your investigations. The work will engage research tasks in several national and EU-funded projects with national and EU partners. Participating in program meetings and network events is expected. As part of the doctoral program, you will also gain experience in teaching and supervising students. The selected candidate will need to apply for the study right in doctoral studies at Aalto University School of Engineering. Thus, please check the student information and admission criteria at https://www.aalto.fi/en/study-options/aalto-doctoral-programme-in-engineering
. In particular, please pay attention to the required (English) language proficiency.
Your experience and ambitions
We are looking for a passioned researcher that would have:
What we offer
- Master’s degree or pursuing a Master’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or a similar field;
- Strong background and experience in material theory and characterization, e.g, SEM, XRD, EBSD, (FIB & TEM are plus);
- Materials testing knowledge and experience, e.g., tensile, fatigue, and fracture mechanics (DIC is a plus);
- Knowledge and experience in hydrogen-metal interaction, such as hydrogen charging, TDS measurements, etc.;
- Excellence in communication and dissemination of research via publications and conference presentations;
- Discipline and organization skills in task and time management;
- Team working experience and spirit.
Ready to join us?
- An active, friendly, and highly collaborative multicultural and multi-disciplinary team - more than 10 closely collaborating members with complementary talents and more than 50 researchers, engineers, and technicians with wide support;
- Cutting-edge infrastructure and unique research challenges for material science and hydrogen applications;
- Integration to our network of collaborators across the globe (Germany, Belgium, France, Norway, Greece, and the United States) with various-form scientific discussions and collaborations (meetings, workshops, conferences, long-term visits, etc.);
- Great possibilities for competence and career development and learning via vibrant training courses and international fair/conference exposure.
- Open, fair, encouraging, collaborative, inclusive, and curiosity-driven work environment to support your ambition and success.
- The doctoral studies at Aalto University take approximately four years. The candidate will be offered a two-year contract with the possibility of another two-year extension. The researcher is expected to commit to completing a Doctoral Dissertation (PhD degree) within this time in the project.
- The starting (gross) salary is 2667 EUR per month. It will increase substantially with achievements, such as scientific publications. The employment contract includes occupational health care, and Finland has a comprehensive social security system. The primary workplace will be the Otaniemi Campus at Aalto University.
To apply for the position, please submit your application electronically through our online recruitment system and provide the following documents in English:
- Letter of motivation (1 page)
- CV including a list of publications
- Demonstration of previous project or thesis experience (1-page description with free-format illustration, e.g., Github)
- Degree certificates and academic transcripts
- Contact details of at least two referees (or letters of recommendation, if already available)
The deadline for application is September 22, 2023, at 23:59
Finnish time (UTC +2). However, early applications are very much encouraged, and we may invite suitable candidates to interview during the application period. The positions will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified. We expect you to start working from October 1
at the earliest and at the latest October 15, 2023
. For additional information, kindly contact Prof. Junhe Lian, email@example.com
. In questions related to the recruitment process, please contact HR Advisor Paula Thomsson-Levä, firstname.lastname@example.org
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period, reopen the application process, and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
Please note: Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via the internal HR system Workday (Internal Jobs -> Find Jobs) by using their existing Workday user account.
Aalto-yliopistossa tiede ja taide kohtaavat tekniikan ja talouden. Rakennamme kestävää tulevaisuutta saavuttamalla läpimurtoja avainalueillamme ja niiden yhtymäkohdissa. Samalla innostamme tulevaisuuden muutoksentekijöitä ja luomme ratkaisuja maailman suuriin haasteisiin. Yliopistoyhteisöömme kuuluu 13 000 opiskelijaa ja yli 4500 työntekijää, joista 400 on professoreita. Kampuksemme sijaitsee Espoon Otaniemessä. Monimuotoisuus on osa meitä, ja teemme jatkuvaa työtä yhteisömme monimuotoisuuden ja syrjimättömyyden varmistamiseksi. Siksi kannustammekin päteviä hakijoita taustasta riippumatta liittymään yhteisöömme.
Aalto-yliopiston Insinööritieteiden korkeakoulu hakee Väitöskirjatutkijaa
Konetekniikan laitokselle. Tutustu tehtävän tavoitteisiin ja odotuksiimme englanninkielisestä ilmoituksesta yllä. Haethan tehtävää 22.9.2023 mennessä englanniksi Workday rekrytointijärjestelmäämme ”Apply now” linkistä. Jos olet Aallon työntekijä tai vierailija, haethan sisäistä hakukanavaa käyttäen kirjautumalla ensin Workday-järjestelmään (internal jobs).
More about Aalto University:
Aalto University has been awarded with HR Excellence in Research quality label in European Commission, guaranteeing that we adhere to top quality HR practices in both recruitment and employment relations.
More about Aalto University: