The Chun’s imaging and data science group
at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa (UHM) has vacant Ph.D. positions for applicants who wish to pursue a speciality in data science and imaging science, and to obtain the doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering. The group is seeking highly motivated students committed to developing machine learning (ML) & artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms with projects in imaging, image processing, and computer vision.
The Chun’s group has expertise in ML & AI, optimization, and compressed sensing, applied to diverse imaging, image processing, and computer vision problems. The group is developing/studying computational data science solutions/fundamentals for the following applications: medical imaging (e.g., X-ray CT, MRI, PET, and SPECT), computational photography (e.g., light-field photography (simply put, 4D photography), depth estimation, 3D object tracking, and drone imaging), and biomedical image computing (e.g., brain abnormality detection via neuroimaging and microscopic image segmentation). The group is currently expanding its expertise to autonomous driving using light-field cameras.
• Successful candidates will have recent BS/MS degrees in electrical engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or some related fields.
• Candidates with prior research experience in computer vision and ML & AI are especially encouraged to apply.
• Candidates must have logical and critical thinking skills, be enthusiastic and highly motivated, and function well as part of a team.
• GRE requirement is waived for PhD applicants who hold BS degree with minimum GPA of 3.5 and GPA of 3.75 in any relevant post baccalaureate coursework, or MS degree with minimum GPR of 3.75.
To be considered for this position, please send the following materials by email to Prof. Il Yong Chun
, including “[chun-phd]” and your name in the subject line:
• Curriculum vitae
• Statement of purpose (2-page limit; see what to include in this link
• Contact information for two references
See other application information in this link
We look forward to working with you as our team member.